Acting very sleepy/lethargic - 8 year old rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirst3buns

Reaction score
He seemed fine yesterday and this morning when I left for work nothing seemed unusual. He ate his lettuce and acted like he didn't want to be in his cage. Now he seems like he's very tired and he's not interested in lettuce. I think he's eaten a bit today and there's poos in his litter box. Any ideas?

I'm scared that this may be it for him. He's already seems very fragile to me.

All the bunnies were at the vet last week for a general check up and everything seemed fine then. I told the vet that he didn't seem as plump to me but he really hadn't lost any weight. The vet thought that it may just be old age.

He ate some lettuce but he's not moving very well. It's almost as if he injured his back. He will sort of hop if pushed to but just wants to stay in one spot.

Hi,

Can you take his body temp? If not, how does his body feel both temperature and tone wise? Look at his gums and tongue....are they bright pink?

Randy

I just spoke with Kirsten and she says Cadbury is acting fine now! I think it may have been the start of gas from the way she described how he was acting.

She said he's pooping ok and ate his veggies, now he's out running around ;)

Keep us posted, Kristen. I'll say a prayer he's still well in the morning.

THANK YOU HALEY! He is acting more himself now but he did NOT like simethicone. He was worrying me again after I gave it to him but then he started to explore the bedroom and ate some hay so I'm very much relieved. I will definitely be watching him tonight but he is eating and drinking now and acting more like his 8 year old self.

Hi Kirsten,

I'm so glad that Cadbury is doing better.

Buns sometimes have off days where they seem "not right"
I've got a couple that do it on a regular basis.

Things you might consider...

I'd change out his food and water.
I'd also check over any veggies and treats.
Toss veggies that are more than a few days old, and check treats for freshness, mold. etc.
Check the pellets, too. They should smell "fresh". For the cost vs risk...I'd buy new if there's any concern.
Check the hay, too.....especially for any signs of mold.

We'll be keeping you and Cadbury in our thoughts and prayers!

I hope he's okay! You might want to give him a second dose of simethicone 1 or 2 hours later. It took both of my bunnies two doses before they seemed to feel better when they had gas. He'll be in my thoughts!

Cadbury is acting like himself this morning. Yeah! My kids are home today with the neighbor so my daughter (Cadbury is her rabbit) will be keeping a close eye on him, which makes me feel better. Also, he will be able to get out and run around more today.

The only thing I've changed for him lately was his fresh veggies. I don't give him carrots very often and he had a piece of one yesterday. We may just stick to lettuce, cilantro and parsley from now on and skip the carrots.

Thanks for all the responses.

Latest posts

Back