Acting Out!!? Feeling abonndoned or Growing a cold heart?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricosuave

Reaction score
This is nibbelz!

IMG00308-20091218-1313.jpg

:bunnydance:The thing with nibbelz, I had bought her from a pet store when she was three mo. She was caged in with My Rico's wife, Lucky! when rico cam around, Lucky beat her up and the were no longer friends. Lucky was older thanher by 2 mo. older. Ever since then she did not trust other rabbits and was happier left alone. I had to share her time with rico, and decided she needed sometime byherself. I let my cuzin take care of her for a while cause she haas her own apt., she fell in love with her but had trouble cleaning her an clipping her nails. So she brung her over, cage and all and i did it. She left her over ther and a weekend became three weeks. She then texd me and said she doesnt want her bak. After that i set up her cage to fit her comfort but she has been acting out. messing up her cage even more than usual, STOP USING HER LITTERPAN!!, and she even bit me. She also has gotten in a very bad fight with Xena and is now on edge more than usual. Doesnt like to be picked up, lol but when caught, she loves kisses! I dont know waht to do. Do i give her away to someone who can show her individual love or do I keep loving her with all my might???? Please lookin for deep down responses. I Love her. She also has that rabbit respsitory infection, which i think also keeps her iritable. Even though she has medicine!!

Hi, how old is she, and what is the respiratory infection you're talking about? Maybe she needs to be spayed--that can cause most of the problems that you are mentioning.

I also think that bunnies can feel like they've been abandoned. We get a lot of bunnies at the shelter that act like that, mostly because they're angry at being abandoned with us and kept in a smaller cage than they're used to. They certainly can learn that trusting humans doesn't get them good things, though, and since your cousin didn't take very good care of her, she may not trust humans very much any more. It takes a lot of work to get a bunny that doesn't trust people to start trusting them again. It begins with not picking them up unless absolutely necessary, letting them run in and out of the cage when they want during their exercise time, letting them investigate their area and you fully before petting them. Just sit on the floor with her and even ignore her--watch tv--while she's running, and let her sniff you and climb on you. Don't pet her or pick her up until she's totally comfortable climbing all over you. This can take weeks, but if you do this every time she's out playing, it will improve how she feels about you and humans in general.

She has a respitory infection that some rabbits are born with(excuse the spelling)psue-somthing. The vet said some rabbits get this from their mother at birth.Nothing that can be passed on but it will affect her attitude on mating and children. Its an effection that has symptoms like bronchitis. That is why she had antibiotics.

That sounds like what my Connor had but it never effected his personality. With the right med it cleared up and never effected him again.

This does sound like hormones more than anything.

Yeah maybe ur right. She just might not be as trusting, because of her bad experiences with other humans besides myself, and definatly rabbits, since the seem to wana fight her all the time. But i must say she has always been one of those bunnies who are loners! ! Thank u for the talk, all I can do is nurture her and love her the best way i can!!

Well, I have read a lot about rabbit illness, and I've never heard of a bacterial infection that cannot be cured, is passed to child from the mother, and causes irritable behavior.

There are bacteria that are always present in a rabbit's system, but outbreaks of their infection can be controlled. These include pasturella and psuedomonas. They can cause upper respiratory infections. They also can be treated if the appropriate antibiotics are used. I think you need a more up-to-date bunny vet.

Excessive handling, by giving antibiotics that aren't working, and feeling ill could be making her act out.

Latest posts

Back