Accidently fed spoiled canned pumpkin??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napagirl

Reaction score
Well, my husband got Dimi's veg/pumpkin plate ready this morning and tonight. She ate all of her food this morning, but didn't go for the pumpkin tonight which is rare. I smelled it, and sure enough, it had spoiled in the refrigerator. We keep a tupperware container of it after we open it, for 3 days or so. This hasn't happened before. She ate at least one bite tonight and then stopped. But she ate this morning's serving.

So, does anyone know if rabbits can get food poisoning?? If so, what do I look for? She takes a maintenance dose every other day of metoclopramide and metacam because she has a tendency toward small poops and rarely stasis. I tried to call the vet's office, but just missed them for the evening. Would appreciate any advice.

So yes rabbits can get "food poison", but usually when they eat something that is toxic to them.
Signs of poison are different that what we experience since our natural reaction is to throw up to get rid of the poison, rabbits don't throw up.
When rabbits ingest something poisonous to them it effects different body systems. It affects their GI system: decrease appetite, inflammation, GI stasis. It affects their neurological system: depression progresses to lethargy which progresses to seizures. They also lose their ability to regular their temperature so they might be cold or hot.

Of course it all depends on how much they ingested. But when they ingest a lot, it's really deadly and hard to fix. I haven't seen or heard any stories of anyone who rabbit ingest something poisonous thank God.

But it's good to be aware of what is toxic and what the signs and symptoms are.

So yes rabbits can get "food poison", but usually when they eat something that is toxic to them.

Signs of poison are different that what we experience since our natural reaction is to throw up to get rid of the poison, rabbits don't throw up.
When rabbits ingest something poisonous to them it effects different body systems. It affects their GI system: decrease appetite, inflammation, GI stasis. It affects their neurological system: depression progresses to lethargy which progresses to seizures. They also lose their ability to regular their temperature so they might be cold or hot.

The whole point of food poisoning is that it is toxic... in humans or rabbits. That's what spoilage is. Bad bacteria, moulds, etc....
Not just because they ate a particular toxic item like chocolate for dogs. So that is a very misleading statement. The rest of that is just off... Depressed rabbits don't progress to suffer from seizures...

Napagirl - If you didn't notice any issues within the first day, your rabbit will likely be fine.
Perhaps it hadn't fully spoiled by the morning serving. Some items (when not disguised like human food at a restaurant when you get food poisoning) will taste off before they truly spoil which is why she may not have eaten the dinner serving.

Thank you both for the responses. I know food poisoning can present differently, and it was difficult to find info online. I did find references to mouldy hay causing liver damage over time as well as other damage. I also found a bit on salmonella.
I'm happy to report that Dimi was perky as usual this morning, with her normal voracious appetite. I think if all is well tonight, she should be ok. I think u may be correct Watermelons, in that it hadn't gotten spoiled at the morning feeding. Now I'm wondering if this has perhaps happened before, as when I showed it to my husband to smell last nite, he said he couldn't smell anything!! ����Needless to say, he's not doing the pumpkin any more.

Back