Accidental litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm...the date stamp on my post says the 20th. It's 7:49 here now, and nobunny has opened their eyes yet. I'm thinking that since I didn't find them until the morning of the 20th that maybe they were actually born on the 20th rather than the 19th?
Odd. Mine says 19th. I can't screenshot on this computer but I copied the post including the date. I turned the date orange to make it easier to see!

[IMG alt="sibelabmom"]https://cdn2.imagearchive.com/rabbitsonline/data/avatars/m/21/21089.jpg?1697472571[/IMG]

sibelabmom

@lokibragiandtyr_buns​

Supporting Member Gift upgrade
JoinedOct 8, 2015Messages77Reaction score21LocationNorth Carolina
Help!!!!! We have a litter as of today. This was  not intentional. I've been keeping them separated, for the last two months, but apparently at some point Loki got through to Bragi and the deed was done. As I said, not intentional. The plan has always been having my three fixed, but there are personal things going on right now that have interfered with that timeline. Now that they're here, I need advice so I can take good care of them. First question: fathers and kits. Loki is frantic to get into the hutch, and I haven't allowed it. Bragi seems to want him nearby too, but I don't want to take the chance.

2. I have not touched the kits. I don't know exactly how many there are, but there are at least five for certain.

3. Should I alter anything in Bragi's diet to help her with lactation and such?

Normally I'd be asking a vet these questions, but there isn't a rabbit-savvy vet nearby.

You can't take the sky from me
Like Gift Supporting Quote Reply

Odd. Mine says 19th. I can't screenshot on this computer but I copied the post including the date. I turned the date orange to make it easier to see!

[IMG alt="sibelabmom"]https://cdn2.imagearchive.com/rabbitsonline/data/avatars/m/21/21089.jpg?1697472571[/IMG]

sibelabmom

@lokibragiandtyr_buns​

Supporting Member Gift upgrade
JoinedOct 8, 2015Messages77Reaction score21LocationNorth Carolina
Help!!!!! We have a litter as of today. This was  not intentional. I've been keeping them separated, for the last two months, but apparently at some point Loki got through to Bragi and the deed was done. As I said, not intentional. The plan has always been having my three fixed, but there are personal things going on right now that have interfered with that timeline. Now that they're here, I need advice so I can take good care of them. First question: fathers and kits. Loki is frantic to get into the hutch, and I haven't allowed it. Bragi seems to want him nearby too, but I don't want to take the chance.

2. I have not touched the kits. I don't know exactly how many there are, but there are at least five for certain.

3. Should I alter anything in Bragi's diet to help her with lactation and such?

Normally I'd be asking a vet these questions, but there isn't a rabbit-savvy vet nearby.

You can't take the sky from me
Like Gift Supporting Quote Reply
That's so odd. I wonder why we have different date stamps. Are we both in the US?

Ok, today was difficult. When I weighed the kits this morning, they hadn't been fed. I waited two hours, re-weighed them, and they still hadn't been fed. At that point, I decided to put the kits to Bragi myself with the help of my oldest. One to hold mama (me), and the kiddo to swap kits in and out. That was a nightmare, because Bragi hates to be held or touched. I wedged her head between my arm and ribs, and held her back legs, with her stretched over my lap, while the kits nursed. My arm is now covered in welts from Bragi's front claws. Probably would have drawn blood had it been the back ones. But she mostly held still while the kits nursed, although she got a little impatient with the last one , which is where my welts came in. I hope never to have to do that again, and I'm sure she does too! Pretty sure the whole ordeal took longer than it would have had she just done it herself, but it is what it is.

The kits are Elessar, Arod, Lindir, and Aerin. I went with Tolkien because I like odd names, and nothing is odder than elven names! Elessar is the biggest, and hit 6.0 ounces today! Current weights are 6.0, 5.2, 4.7, and 4.5.

Two have their eyes fully open: Arod and Aerin. Lindir and Elessar are a bit behind there.

Attachments

• 20231130_101904.jpg
    20231130_101904.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231130_101826.jpg
    20231130_101826.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231130_101739.jpg
    20231130_101739.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231130_101656.jpg
    20231130_101656.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
That's so odd. I wonder why we have different date stamps. Are we both in the US?
Ok, today was difficult. When I weighed the kits this morning, they hadn't been fed. I waited two hours, re-weighed them, and they still hadn't been fed. At that point, I decided to put the kits to Bragi myself with the help of my oldest. One to hold mama (me), and the kiddo to swap kits in and out. That was a nightmare, because Bragi hates to be held or touched. I wedged her head between my arm and ribs, and held her back legs, with her stretched over my lap, while the kits nursed. My arm is now covered in welts from Bragi's front claws. Probably would have drawn blood had it been the back ones. But she mostly held still while the kits nursed, although she got a little impatient with the last one , which is where my welts came in. I hope never to have to do that again, and I'm sure she does too! Pretty sure the whole ordeal took longer than it would have had she just done it herself, but it is what it is.

The kits are Elessar, Arod, Lindir, and Aerin. I went with Tolkien because I like odd names, and nothing is odder than elven names! Elessar is the biggest, and hit 6.0 ounces today! Current weights are 6.0, 5.2, 4.7, and 4.5.

Two have their eyes fully open: Arod and Aerin. Lindir and Elessar are a bit behind there.
Yes. I am in VA.

That is great! I am so glad they are doing well and have their eyes open. I know how it feels to have a bunny who does not LOVE being held, and feeding their kits off of them. I hope you don't have to do it again! Nice names!

Thirteen days old, and everybunny's eyes are open as of today! This morning, everybunny's weights were 5.7, 5.2, 6 5, and 5.4. Now that eyes are open, they're all wanting to explore ALL THE THINGS, which is why there is only one group picture today. Individual photos were out of the question. It was easier just to take one group picture!

Attachments

• 20231201_104644.jpg
    20231201_104644.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
Thirteen days old, and everybunny's eyes are open as of today! This morning, everybunny's weights were 5.7, 5.2, 6 5, and 5.4. Now that eyes are open, they're all wanting to explore ALL THE THINGS, which is why there is only one group picture today. Individual photos were out of the question. It was easier just to take one group picture!
They are so cute…you did a great job mama! Quite a family you have there!
thanks for keeping us in the loop👍👍🥰💕😆

I've stopped weighing the kits every day and moved to every other day now that they're all so active. Today, they are 6.1, 6.0, 7.2, and 7.0 ounces, so they're eating and growing well, and love cuddling in a pile in my lap. Well, except for Arod, who, like his father, doesn't sit still unless sleeping or eating! He wants to be everywhere! Elessar is his polar opposite. He's curious, but he'd rather cuddle. Lindir and Aerin haven't really shown their personalities yet. Can't wait till they do!

Attachments

• 20231203_174812.jpg
    20231203_174812.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231203_174557.jpg
    20231203_174557.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231203_174540.jpg
    20231203_174540.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231203_174504.jpg
    20231203_174504.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
A good photo is no longer possible: the kits are everywhere in every possible direction! So i grabbed what i could in the form of a pic where they were all piled together sleeping, except for Aerin, who was very interested in the phone. They're all nibbling at hay now, and have sorta figured out the hutch ramp, which is hilarious to watch. I've gotta get video of them sliding down the ramp to the first brake bar, all four legs splayed out for the slide. Too cute.

Attachments

• 20231207_125448.jpg
    20231207_125448.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
Last one, I promise. Elessar is in the foreground, Aerin at the pellets, Lindir is the one nursing under Bragi, and Arod is out of sight behind mama.

Attachments

• VideoCook_20231210_113718551.mp4
    18.7 MB

Latest posts

Back