Accidental does of metronidazole???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhockin78

TobyBun
Reaction score
So I accidently gave Toby .5ml of metron instead of his .5ml of metacam. Dang it, they are identical bottles and I screwed up. I feel terrible, and I am really really worried that I may have harmed him...

Have I?? I'm so worried that I haven't given him his correct does of metacam for fear it would be too much meds on his lil body.

I have heard of plenty of people giving it twice a day. I've never used it personally so I am not much of a help. Perhaps post Toby's weight? That way people can get a better feel for the dosage.

Just keep an eye on him, make sure he's eating, pooping, drinking, etc.

He should be just fine :)
The only issue you might have, has nothing to do with it being an accidental dose. Antibiotics can sometimes upset tummys. But that's a general statement about antibiotics, so Toby will be fine. He might be annoyed about having to be medicated again...

Thanks, I'm not feeling quite as freaked out, but now I really have to be careful not to mix up his meds again. This was a learning experience, and I am glad it was with a somewhat safe medication.

He seems to be eating hay like a champ, so guessing he is going to be fine :)

In the future with a question like this, I'd recommend calling your vet and asking them. For example, we don't know the concentration of either of the medications, just the volume you delivered. If both bottles look the same I'm assuming the metacam is not in its original packaging and it comes in different concentrations and we'd have no idea what concentration the metronizadole is either. Recently another member had a scare with possibly overdosing their rabbit and PMed me and my immediate response to that one too was to call the vet. If you are dealing with a toxicity, you'll want to work more quickly than you're likely to get information on here.

In the future with a question like this, I'd recommend calling your vet and asking them. For example, we don't know the concentration of either of the medications, just the volume you delivered. If both bottles look the same I'm assuming the metacam is not in its original packaging and it comes in different concentrations and we'd have no idea what concentration the metronizadole is either. Recently another member had a scare with possibly overdosing their rabbit and PMed me and my immediate response to that one too was to call the vet. If you are dealing with a toxicity, you'll want to work more quickly than you're likely to get information on here.

Thanks for info, however being that it was a Saturday night, my vet is not available, and the emergency vet did not have a small animal Dr. to answer my question. So I had to think quick on my feet.

Toby is fine, and I reorganized the meds section of the kitchen, and separated the kitty meds from the bunny meds, no more accidents. And you are right, the metro is in a diff bottle since we purchase 100ml of it at a time and there is no port to stick a syringe into it. I should have realized that he was not as responsive to the "other" meds like he is the metro, but I figured he had a mouth full of food and was taking his time :/ I appreciate everyone's quick response, I was still pretty worried but he seems just fine today. So my accident turned out ok this time. Thank god. :happyrabbit:

Latest posts

Back