Absorbtion issues for broken/spotted patterned rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of genetic absorption problems being linked to rabbits having broken or spotted type patterns?

If anyone can give me any information I'd really appreciate it.

Basically I don't have a ton of time to get into everything here right now but I have a rabbit with some issues and numerous vets have not yet been able to tell me what's going on with him. He's not horrible, but he's been having issues maintaining weight, dull fur, and stomach problems. I've had him tested for just about everything his vet and I could think to test him for and we haven't found anything wrong so far. It's very strange actually. My first vet though he was showing signs of kidney damage/failure, but after numerous tests his kidneys appear to be fine.

Anyways I posted about him on the Disabled Rabbits group on facebook and someone (I think it was Sas from this forum) mentioned in passing that some rabbits with certain patterns are more prone to having nutrient absorption issues. I tried looking it up on my own to learn more but wasn't able to find anything useful. I tried messaging the poster on Facebook to get more info but never got a reply. So basically I'm just looking for information.

Thanks in advance :)

This is called mega-colon or cow- pile syndrome and I had a bun with it a few years ago; he had slimey multiple poops.. some very large, some very small and he frequently went into stasis
I know that Kathy Smith addresses this problem in the book "Rabbit health in the 21st century" ""

Iwill attempt to find more on-line to post

Thanks for the replies!

I've heard of mega-colon before. Makes more sense now. When I was told that stuff about the absorption problems I didn't know it was mega-colon. No wonder I couldn't find any info on it.

The bunny in question is also dealing with head tilt from an ear infection right now, bleh. It's seriously like one thing after another with this guy. He already has a vet apt. for tomorrow so I'll ask my vet about mega-colon and in the mean time now that I know the name of it I will start to do my own research.

Thanks again :)

Back