Absolutely Tragic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbitmom12

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm writing this post, and I don't even know where to start.

Have you ever heard a news story with a passing comment like, "Oh, that's so sad", and then later you find out that it actually involved people you cared for deeply? That happened to me today.

I never watch the local news. Never, ever. Never. Sometimes, I hear it on the radio.

I've been sick with the flu since Saturday, and finally made my way from the bedroom to the couch today. I awoke with the local news on at noon, just in time to hear that3 people died ina fire overnight. It caught myeye as the firefighters talked about how the house was completely consumed before they arrived, and 3 family members were missing and presumed dead.

Then, right at the end of the newscast, they mentioned theremote road this ocurred on, and showed apicture of a sign at the homethat proclaimed, "The Garretts". Andinstantly, Iknew.

Michelle was a classmate of my oldest son's. At the time,our little school had 50 children, from kindergartenthru 8th grade. All of the kids, teachers,and families knew each other inside and out. The "bigkids" were the older "sisters and brothers" that the little ones never had...and the little kids gave the big kids the chance to be someone's hero.Every day, you would see an 8th grader bending down to tie a 1st grader's shoelace, or a kindergartenergrinning and pulling on the arm of a 5th grader, squealing, "Come on, push me on theswings!"

As the school secretary, I wore many hats beside answering the phones andsorting the mail. I was the teacher's assistant, the boo-boo kisser/temperature taker/vomit cleaner-upper/bloody nose fixer-upper/scraped knee bandager, etc. I loved and huggedevery kidin thatschool and took care of them like I didmy own. I was the first one to see when they forgot their lunch, had to make the dreaded trip to the principal's office, and when they signed in...with a great big grin...after going to the orthodontist to have the braces taken off of their teeth. I talked to every parent and sibling, and sometimesknew who was going to have a new baby in their house...before their kids did. I commiserated with the parents when their child got hurt, sick, or in trouble, and celebrated with them when they won awards or got their first A on a spelling test.

In a little school like that, you are a family.

Michelle was 21 years old this year. Our paths continued to crosswhen she was in high school with my sons. She always had a hug and a smile for me. Even recently, we would occasionally run into each other at WalMart or McDonald's. Michelle always inquired about her former Redeemer friends - my kids. "Tell them I said hi", was howshe always ended our conversations.

At 6 o'clock this morning, a neighbor looked out her window, across the river, and saw a house fully engulfed in flames. The firefighters believe the house may have been on fire for as much as 6 hours before they were calledto the scene. It was in a remote location, 1/4 mile off of a lonely country road, andin a heavily wooded area. Not one recognizable item remained in the home when the fire wascontrolled enough for fire fighters to enter it. No furniture, appliances, or even doors. One body was discovered within a couple of hours, and the other two were foundearly this evening. They will not be distinguishableuntil the dental records are compared.

I'm so sorry. My mom works in the health/attendance office at the school I attended for K-8 so I know how close someone in your position gets to the students.
I can't imagine what you're going through, but I'll keep you and this family in my thoughts and prayers.

Oh my gosh, that's terrbile :( *hugs*

I'm always worried when I hear about something happening near where my family and friends live. I can't even fathom how hard this must be for you :(

My heart goes out to you and your family :( *more hugs*

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

I was trying to edit and add this, but I didn't do it fast enough...

I am in a state of shock. I feel terrible that my oldest son won't even know about his classmate's death until after his graduation from Basic Military Training next week...surely well after the funeral. My 17 and 15 year old had their first day of school today. It will be a short night as they try to come to grips with the death of their friend and former schoolmate. There haven't been many tears, yet. Those are yet to come.

In one of those strange twists of fate,all three of my kids received Facebook friend requests from Michelle last night, about 2 hours before the fire would have started in her house.

There's a message from God in there, somewhere, I think. I think he wanted us to know that Michelle was thinking of her friends, when she laid down to sleep last night.

Now we are thinking about you, Michelle.

I'm so sorry. I have actually opened a newspaper and read the obituary of a very close friend but hadn't been contacted due to his living out of state. It's a shock to say the least.

I dont even know what to say to this. I cant imagine what your feeling and thinking. Im so sorry for what happened and i hope everyone in the town gets through it ok.

:shock: I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how upset you are feeling right now :( The facebook add thing, I think your right. Fate.

Again... so sorry. I don't really know what to say but want you to know my PM box is open anytime.. :pray:

:hug:

Oh no... How very horrible..

I am so very sorry for your loss.. ((((((((((Wabbitmom))))))))))) I also can't imagine how this must feel for those who knew them.. I am crying and didn't know them so I can only imagine..

I am sending prayers your way and everyone elses whose lives are affected by this huge loss.

Thinking and praying for everyone involved. I know how tough that can be and what a shock for it to be someone you know. A few years ago a middle school child died in the gym and he turned out to be a really good friend of my brother and our whole family knew their family well. Very sad. I cried through the entire funeral.

Oh my I'm so sorry to hear this. That would be horrible, I can't even imagine it.

I know what it's like to loose a friend that's really close to you.

My PM box is open for you anytime.

Thank you so much everyone.

I haven't had the news on at all today, but I noticed the newspaper had the story as its top headline. Apparently, the fire department believes natural gas was involved. I haven't read the whole article yet, so whether it was an explosion or what, I don't know.

What irks me now, is some boneheads on the news website wrote one word comments - before all of the bodies were even recovered!! - saying things like "METH!!" (For the unitiated, this area of the country routinely has exploding labs that were producing the illegal drug, Meth, or "crack".)

:XI'm just so furious that people assume that was the cause when they don't even know these dear people!! Just because they live in the country does not mean they are producing drugs!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I'm so sorry. I have actually opened a newspaper and read the obituary of a very close friend but hadn't been contacted due to his living out of state. It's a shock to say the least.
Bo B, that would be so horrible!

It is funny how many times I just "happen" to pick up the paper (we don't have them delivered daily because I don't have time to read it much) - only to see that a friend's parent passed, or some other sad event. I guess God honors that I don't waste much time with the newspaper and tv - and He makes sure that I know the things I need to know.

One other time, I tuned in to the local news by accident (again, I NEVER WATCH the local news) - in time to hear that a friend's nephew had killed his mom in her sleep.

As a prayer warrior, I believe God gets me notified when the family needs me to be praying for them.

Latest posts

Back