absessed tooth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i_luv_my_bunnie2598

Reaction score
mybunnie has an absessed tooth and i dont know what todo:(he's not even a year old yet and he has thisproblem. i took him to the vet when i first saw the signs ofthis terrible infliction. the side of his face was swollenquite noticably and his eye had some discharge. the vet thensaid that he had this problem. so they cut a small hole inhis jaw to let the fluid drain from it. well that worked forabout 4-6 days. i thought he was getting better until i wokeup and found his eye completly shut from the puss that was draining,not through his hole in the bottom of his jaw, but from hiseye. they prescribed and ointment but i dont think thatsgoing to stop this. my only other option is to have surgery done andthe tooth removed. is there any other solution or is my onlyoption a costly procedure that may not work

please help i dont want to have to put my poor bunnie down

Dental abscesses humans and animals if nottreated can cause in infection in the jaw bone and that is veryserious. Rabbit abscesses are more thick than other animalsand take more time and treatment. Surgery would not be theworst thing if it is the best choice.

ed

Welcome to the Forum - sorry it's in such badcircumstances. I know surgery is expensive, but for dental abscesses itis probably the best way to go. I hope everything works out for you andyour bun- Jan

wellsome good news on my bunny....the eye ointment the vet gave me seems tobe helping. the fluid is still draining from his eye but notquite as much today. his eye isnt sealed shut like it wasalthough it still is a little tender. he seems to be inbetter spirits and is eating his veggies again. i think imight still consider the surgery if the fluid doesn't reduce in theamount that it is comming out. but thank you for all yoursupport. the websites were very helpfull. uanswered alot of questions. i'll try to get some pics of himso i can show u my bunnie :?

i also have anotherquestion on his behavior. he seems to scratch alot, not hisbody but rather anything and everything in front of him. if ablanket or clothes are there then he will continue to dothis. he will also push it away after he digs it towardshim. but this not only on clothes or blankets. hewill do it on a hard wooden table or the floor. is he tryingto burrow? is it a nervous condition? he is very hyper and loves to runand play. does any body know why my bunny is sosilly???????:D

Digging is a normal "burrowing"behavior. Domestic rabbits are descended from wild Europeanrabbits which lived in underground burrows.

Will be hoping for the best for you bunny!

Pam

Latest posts

Back