Abscess??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meg33

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I posted a little while ago about my rabbit's runny eye .. well, I took her to the vet and she gave us eye drops which seem to be helping a little. Well a couple of days ago, I discovered that my rabbit's hair on her right side of her face was sticking out farther than it is on her left. However, I didn't think anything about it, because I just assumed it was from her fur getting wet from her eyes. Last night, when I put her eye drops in, I decided to feel under her eye (around her cheek) and it is swollen and feels hard. From what I've read online, this could be an abscess, but I'm not sure. I am the type of person that overreacts about issues like this when there isn't even a problem. Does this sound like an abscess to you? Should I take her into the vet? HELP!!

Description: Gray lop-eared

Sex: Neutered Male

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? YES
- when did they last use their litterbox? YES
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? NO
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? Newspaper

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? NEUTERED
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? YES
- is s/he on any medications? Metacam for pain and eye drops

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? pellets and yogurt drops
- when and what did s/he eat last? about an hour ago
- any changes in the way s/he eats? she seems to be eating normally (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc)

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? NO Is s/he hopping normally? YES
- is the rabbit molting? NO
- any weight loss? NO
- any sign of drooling? NO wet face? YES, around runny eye
- runny eyes? YES
- wet nose? NO coughing? NO sneezing? NO
- is s/he breathing normally? Yes, she does "snore" when she sleeps deeply .. should I be concerned about this?

I suspect the two things, eye & swelling, are connected. Maybe it's a sinus problem or lymph node or something. At least that's what I'd suspect if it were a child rather than a rabbit. I think the vet needs to be involved.

Thank you LakeCondo! I am extremely happy to hear that you think it is a sinus problem instead of an abscess. I plan on calling the vet in the morning so hopefully I can get her in Wednesday .. thanks, again, for your help!

Good luck :)

Hopefully the vet can sort it out

Jen

meg33 wrote:
Hi everyone! I posted a little while ago about my rabbit's runny eye .. well, I took her to the vet and she gave us eye drops which seem to be helping a little. Well a couple of days ago, I discovered that my rabbit's hair on her right side of her face was sticking out farther than it is on her left. However, I didn't think anything about it, because I just assumed it was from her fur getting wet from her eyes. Last night, when I put her eye drops in, I decided to feel under her eye (around her cheek) and it is swollen and feels hard. From what I've read online, this could be an abscess, but I'm not sure. I am the type of person that overreacts about issues like this when there isn't even a problem. Does this sound like an abscess to you? Should I take her into the vet? HELP!!

Description: Gray lop-eared

Sex: Neutered Male

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? YES
- when did they last use their litterbox? YES
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? NO
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? Newspaper

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? NEUTERED
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? YES
- is s/he on any medications? Metacam for pain and eye drops

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? pellets and yogurt drops
- when and what did s/he eat last? about an hour ago
- any changes in the way s/he eats? she seems to be eating normally (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc)

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? NO Is s/he hopping normally? YES
- is the rabbit molting? NO
- any weight loss? NO
- any sign of drooling? NO wet face? YES, around runny eye
- runny eyes? YES
- wet nose? NO coughing? NO sneezing? NO
- is s/he breathing normally? Yes, she does "snore" when she sleeps deeply .. should I be concerned about this?
please donot despair,but yes-any lump should be examined,with that it sounds like an abscess-facial-perhaps in the cheek,worse case is a dental abscess,,-all should be considered dangerous and a health risk,,-some require air to grow others donot-(areobic/anaerobic-)--this maybe painful causing stress which will affect the immune system triggering other nasty problems--abscesses are something that come about due to breed,injury,health,--during and after removal,-they require treatment with antibiotics,and pain control meds--note:antibiotics creat an undesirable health risk for proper digestion absorbsion in the gi-tract always give probiotics-(for cecotropes)---you can also check this website http://www.medirabbit.com ,,sincerely james waller

Hi Meg,

It sounds like your bunny does indeed have an abscess andyou will need to take her to the vet. You could show the vet
Marcy Moore's protocol for eradicating abscesses, it is quite simple and inexpensive and your vet can teach you to give the required
injections of bicillin every other day. My bunny recently had an abscess on his jaw and after giving him bicillin every other day for afew weeks it
has gone.
Also, you might want to go either on-line or to a Health Food store and buy "Traumeel" which is a wonderful, natural ,pain remedy. You can crush a tablet and mix in a little water an syringe it into your bunny - or mash it in some banana. You can give this about 3 x per day or as needed.
Here is the Bicillin protocol to give to your veterinarian.
http://people.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm]http://people.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm[/url]

Good luck!

Evonne

Just was wondering how your bunny is making out. Did you get in to see your vet to see if this is an abscess or sinus problem?

Hope all is well. Please let us know how your bunny is making out.

K :)

Latest posts

Back