Abscess in Rabbits - helpful info

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leone

Reaction score
My 7.5 year old mini lop suffered from an abscess in 2010 and the vets thought it was going to be fatal. I did much digging on the net and found success with bicillin injections. My vet was reluctant to try it and tried other options first (said he couldn't find bicillin) and these all failed. BeBe (my bun) had multiple surgeries to remove new abcess growth and was losing lots of weight. Finally the vet found and tried the bicillin, but told me that bebe probably had about 2 months left. I insisted on at least 6 months of injections as I read, and it has now been more than 6 months since his last injection. His weight has come back (and probably a bit more), and he is thriving. He now has to have his teeth trimmed occassionally which I hate, but removal was necessary on the infected teeth. So FYI, an abscess does not have to be fatal! I find that doing my own research helps my vet to find new ways to treat my baby - I encourage everyone to do the same.

My 7.5 year old mini lop suffered from an abscess in 2010 and the vets thought it was going to be fatal. I did much digging on the net and found success with bicillin injections. My vet was reluctant to try it and tried other options first (said he couldn't find bicillin) and these all failed. BeBe (my bun) had multiple surgeries to remove new abcess growth and was losing lots of weight. Finally the vet found and tried the bicillin, but told me that bebe probably had about 2 months left. I insisted on at least 6 months of injections as I read, and it has now been more than 6 months since his last injection. His weight has come back (and probably a bit more), and he is thriving. He now has to have his teeth trimmed occassionally which I hate, but removal was necessary on the infected teeth. So FYI, an abscess does not have to be fatal! I find that doing my own research helps my vet to find new ways to treat my baby - I encourage everyone to do the same.
--i love it when a plan comes together,,great job..!--was the abscess dental/bone-jaw--i asumed due to the removal of teeth---as you know by now everything starts in the mouth--trimming of teeth for proper chewing is essential,,-keep feeding as much grasses as she will tolerate and watch the poops,--assure yourself she eats the quite essential cecotropes..--my 7 yr.old male (houdini) manifested a facial abscess in april 2012,--it wasnot dental related,--i monitored him 24/7 with medications of chlorampenicol,and flagyl for two months and the abscess literally dried up leaving just a little scab that fell off---he had to be hand fed at one point and though i weighed him many times a day -he kept losing weight--which i frantically kept up with,--today healthy--gained back all the lost weight --eating great,,-his teeth seemed not to have gotten out of control--prey animals stress easily and the opportunist -(bad bacteria,s-parasites,etc)-take control of the immune system to kill...-the work is well worth it to save these little guys-(babies)--sincerely james waller--:party::apollo:

Good job! I always try to tell my vets about my independent research but they have that I-am-the-educated-vet-here attitude. The one time we stumped thevet was when my mini rex developed retrobulbar disease, which led to intensive treatments and surgery. That vet does not see rabbits anymore, and I would not go to see her anyway after wanting to flush my retrobulbar rabbit like you would a cat on her abscess.

Last time I took Acacia in with an abscess she did not treat it right and I had it out with her on the phone when the abscess returned.. That's as far as I get with them.

Really glad to hear your bunny is doing better thanks to an open-minded vet and persistance!

Latest posts

Back