about vaccination (Greece)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'll meet the vet in person and ask for info as I go there.
I think the person who's gonna check up my bun will provide me with the info I need.
(secretaries are some times too stupid to know anything but to book meetings lol)..

thank you for your attention... I'll keep you posted for what i find out.

Ok so visited a clinic for pets and i talked to a vet.
He explained to me that in Greece they only import the vaccination called cunipravac (for VHD).
The info i found about it is this http://www.hipra.com/docs/pdf/43850_eng.pdf
and the company (i think) is hipra ( http://www.hipra.com )

as far as i have searched it looks good and in their site there are some detailed info about their research.

but i cannot find any specified info about side effects (except what the pdf file says: "A slight granuloma may develop at the inoculation site, especially if the vaccine has been wrongly administered by intradermal route."

the vet i talked with said that he is willing to perform the injection for free.
i asked him about Lapinject and about Nobivac-myxo both from UK.
he told be that they dont have a dealer for Lapinject and that Nobivac-myxo is not necessary for our country cos myxomatosis is not usuall here.
however if i am able to buy and import Lapinject (if i want it that badly) he told me that the vaccine has to be kept in a fridge and stay in ideal temperatires durring the import (and he saied again that he can perfom the injection for free if i bring the vaccine to him).

for the record, the cost of cunipravac vaccination is about 30.00 EUR.

so what should i do now?
go for cunipravac?
anyone has ever heard about this vaccination?
is it possible i can buy and sfaelly import Lapinject ( i doupt if the box is make of aluminium or any other thermal-resistant matterial :p )?

any ideas?

PS my grammar most times sucks im sorry..

They would ship the vaccine in a styrofoam cooler with ice packs or dry ice, I would think. That's how they ship our sensitive biologics in the lab.

The granuloma thing sounds like it would be some tissue damage, like a scar, at the injection site. I'll look at the website in more detail in a min.

Oh I'm dumb, found it in English:
http://www.hipra.com/english/publicacionesAmp.asp?idNew=883&topico=39416
My translation was about right.

They also sell a Myxi vaccine:
http://www.hipra.com/docs/pdf/40763_eng.pdf

Most of them come in packages with a lot of them in there, which is probably why the vet won't do myxi because you might be his only patient that wants it.

"Health status was good at five
days post-vaccination. Small nodules were observed at the inoculation site in
intradermal vaccinated animals. In the control batch, nodules were small (0.2 cm). In
Batch 3 vaccinated with oil-based Cunipravac-RHD® they were medium sized (0.3-
0.4cm) and in the Batches 4 and 5 inoculated with aluminum hydroxide-based vaccines
nodules were a little larger (0.5cm)."

The oil-based one is what they sell for routine use and they tell you to inject it sub-q, not intradermally. They didn't observe "General clinical signs of vaccine reaction such as: lethargy, anorexia, etc., and
reactions at the inoculation site were evaluated five days after vaccination."

"None of the vaccinations tested affected the general health status of the animals. At a
local level, the reactions were of no clinical significance. They were restricted to the mild
traumatism caused by the intradermal inoculation."

http://world-rabbit-science.com/WRS...004-Puebla/Papers/Pathology/P-Pages-Mante.pdf

Indeed 5 is a very small sample size.
But I think if its so widely used here, it might not be that bad..
I guess I'll go for it then..
I'll make sure to keep a log for the next days after the vaccination to see any reactions from Cookie..
Thank you very much for the support, it's very nice when there's someone who also cares to search for this kind of info for you.
I really appreciate it.
I'll keep you posted about my observations :)

[1 month later..]

1 month ago (22-05-2010) i succesfuly vaccinated my ban Cookie for VHD using the "cunipravac" vaccination.

there were no after effects back then.
he was just sleepy for about 2 days as his body was "proccessing" the new information he got from the vacconation.

Today we had the second vaccination (same vaccination, same quantity).
the vet told me that Cookie is doing very good and from now on he will be havving the vaccination once a year.

I was also informed that they are looking for information about importing vaccinations for myxomatosis soon.
This is good news i guess :)

Cookie had some ruff days last week, the temperature went up like +10 to 20 degrees and there was no airconditioning system to operate in the house. I was very worried for any problems cos bunnies are very sensitive in high temps.

So far ive been using a fan and things go smooth.

So that's all about vaccination info :)

PS: sorry for my bad grammar... when im quick typing i do mistakes..

I'm glad to hear about the vaccination :). That's definately a weight off your mind.

Hope Cookie is feeling a better soon! 20 degrees seems like an awful lot to me...how is he otherwise?

Jen

He is doing very well! His male hormones made him run around humping everything for a couple of days during spring time :panic: but its over now
He is very live and happy!

Now the only problem is that I try to find solutions for the heat now. Near fans and cool corners around the house are his fav. places to hang out for Cookie atm :biggrin2:

after the vaccination he is again sleepy and tired, now im just stroking him to keep he relaxed..

Well that's really good to hear :D

Have you tried freezing water bottles and giving them for him to rest against, or put some tiles in the fridge and let him have those?

Jen

Latest posts

Back