Abby swollen cheek, not eating or pooping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
Abby, our two yr old 2.2 lb furry lion head, quit eating and pooping. Doesnt drink water. Vet said she looked fine. Is on meloxidyl, metoproclamide, simethicone. Am trying to force feed critical care but getting very little into rather than onto the bunny. Got fluids and abdominal X-rays yesterday. X-rays showed some food in her but no poop. Producing tiny dry sparse poops That stick to her fur. Am worried because last night I felt that her left cheek feels swollen under her eye. Cannot get another vet appt until Monday. With the heat and all, am very worried. Any suggestions appreciated.

Abby, our two yr old 2.2 lb furry lion head, quit eating and pooping. Doesnt drink water. Vet said she looked fine. Is on meloxidyl, metoproclamide, simethicone. Am trying to force feed critical care but getting very little into rather than onto the bunny. Got fluids and abdominal X-rays yesterday. X-rays showed some food in her but no poop. Producing tiny dry sparse poops That stick to her fur. Am worried because last night I felt that her left cheek feels swollen under her eye. Cannot get another vet appt until Monday. With the heat and all, am very worried. Any suggestions appreciated.
Very important to get that critical care in her. That’s what saved my rabbit so many times. My rabbit loved it. She would rip it out of my hand literally. Make sure you are putting the syringe in the corner of the mouth. When you take her on Monday, get more fluids for her. Maybe until then if she is not drinking, ask vet if you can add a tiny touch more water to the critical care but make sure they say it’s ok. If it’s swollen under the eye, make sure he checks her teeth really well. She might have an abscess or something going on with dental. I will be praying for your baby! ❤️

Keep trying with the critical care, but if she won't swallow much, I would continue syringing water and maybe some electrolytes (eg unflavored Pedialyte), to keep her hydrated and energy up until she can be seen by the vet tomorrow.

Abby seems better. Amazingly, vet found no real dental issues. I was embarassed because the swelling on her cheek was food stuck under her very fine long hair! Vet fixed that, shaved her perineal area, and they trimmed around her eyes. They put a rubber band around a Pom Pom of hair so she could see. They said because of all her hair she cannot keep up,with grooming. I trimmed off the Pom Pom and removed the tight rubber band. Vet also said to give her pineapple juice. Got her some but read online that it needs to be fresh pineapple juice and pineapples are not in season here. So am looking for powder with bromelain and papain digestive enzymes. Any recommendations appreciated. Abby seems much happier now.

Latest posts

Back