Abbie went to the vet today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADEE

Reaction score
Abbie & Rain both went to the vet today.. Abbie has been sneezing alot and had a green gooky nose, I had contacted the breeder who suggested i put her on a broad spectrum antibiotic for a few days and see what happens, I did that for four days and saw no improvement.. I know rabbits can develop pnemonia fairly quickly and didnt want to take the risk of her getting worse, especially with a storm just off our coast. So I took her in, she weighs 5 1/4lbs already!! She will be 11wks tomorrow. She does have a cold but thankfully it isnt in her lungs. She has been put on Baytril for 14 days. We also had rain looked at to make sure she wasnt coming down with anything, she doesnt have any nasal discharge and sounds great.

smile.gif
Just thought I would update you all on little miss Abbies weight! Shes getting HUGE

Here is a video of what had me concerned... fast forward to 2:36
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvWILuIs1nk[/ame]

Rabbits don't get "colds". Did they do a culture? Also Antibiotics should be for at least 3wks. Baytril is also pretty over used. So not as effectual as it used to be.

Moving this to the infirmary so that it can get better attention.

If the Baytril isn't sufficient for the first two weeks, or if there isn't any improvement soon, or if she gets worse, I'd suggest bringing her in and trying a different antibiotic.

Thank you for your comment.. she came from inverness florida just 2wks ago, which is a 6hr+ drive. unfortunately she was transported home with a few other rabbits who had been in less then desirable condition (they were taken for rescue and transported at same time as abbie). The vet that checked over Abbie is well qualified with rabbits and a dear friend of mine, she basically said it was like a cold, there was a technical name for it but its being treated with baytril. 2wks according her was sufficient since it was mostly done to be sure we cought whatever she started coming down with.. she didnt have a full blown illness as of yet.. Im a very nervous mom and make sure to get the pets right into the vet when i see thing that concern me, especially after working for a vet myself for over 5 years i know how fast rabbits can go south. We are to do a recheck in one week to see how shes doing. She had a yicky lime green nose and some sneezing which is what warrented the vet visit in the first place.

Thanks for having it moved :)

It sounds like you"re pleased with her treatment andI do hope that she entirely recovers from her infection.
Most of us that have been here longer are very familar with lingering infections due to short term use of antibiotics oruse of an antibioic not appropriate for specific bacteria.. That is not always the case but just something that we see often.

She is a really cute bun.. make sure that you keep us updated.;)

Thanks you two.. I will certainly keep you posted on her.

She does have a scheduled recheck for a week incase she doesnt clear up all the way. :) I appreciate your help and input!!

Latest posts

Back