abandoned wild bunnies HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd131

Reaction score
my friend had 4 baby bunnies dropped in her yard by a child who ran away. she is freaking out on how to care for them. they are as small as hampsters. i asked her to email me some photos. she wants to release them back into the wild when the time is right.

1. what type of formula should she buy?

2. i told her to pick up some alfalfa hay, is that correct?

3. i told her i would ask you folks about pellets other foods. i am hesitant to tell her to purchase pellets as they will NEVER find those in the wild when she releases them.

additionally, she is trying to find the child to find the nest. if she does should i advise her to rub vanilla on the noses of the babies so the mother accepts them again?

thanks for any help!

todd

Are they cottontails or 'wild' domestic rabbits? Are their eyes open? If they're eating on their own, formula maybe more harmful than helpful. Fresh pulled grass, hay and pellets are her best bet.

If they are cottontails and they're really young, a wildlife rehabber is probably her best bet.

PS: If they are very young cottontails, finding the nest would be best if it can be done now. But the nest will have to be monitored by putting something on top of it so you'll know if its been visited by mom. Also putting a little protection around it won't interfere. I don't think the vanilla is a good idea.

sas :clover:

thanks Pipp! here you are helping me again.

they are brown and the underside of the tail is white. are they cottontails?

the eyes are open. she is going to the pet store right now for hay and a small bag of pellets.

I'm curious. What does the vanilla on the mom's nose accomplish?

Kim, I believe it makes the mom smell vanilla and not the human scent that is on the rabbits or the nest.

I have heard of people using it when bonding rabbits too so they smell the vanilla and not the scent of the other rabbit.

The vanilla is a good idea but not necessary.

Since their eyes are open, they're probably old enough to be on their own in the wild. If you can figure out at least an idea of where they were found, releasing them there gives them their best chance of survival. Until you figure out where to release them, offer grass--fresh and dried--off the ground. I wouldn't give pellets. Dandlion greens are also great, and so is "spring mix" lettuce. Hay is fine. Also make sure they have a shallow bowl of water.

Usually we tell people to contact a licensed wildlife rehabber right away because in many states it's illegal to have wildlife in your home unless you are a licensed wildlife rehabber. In this case, I think the babies are old enough to be re-released and don't need any special care--you just need to find a good place to release them.

Latest posts

Back