abandoned bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Somebody decided to abandon there rabbit today at my house in a box on my doorstep. I just moved this weekend too. She/he is a white angora rabbit, and appears blind. Her eyes are splotchy white, and from looking at medirabbit, kind of looks like E. cuniculi. I live in a studio, and my four rabbits are in my room. I have kept her quarantined in the bathroom. Im hoping tomorrow to get her to a vet, not sure though because I just started a new job. I wish I could get some pics tonight but my camera doesnt have flash and I dont think theres enough light to get a worthwhile pic. My question is, how contagious is E. cuniculi? I really dont want my other rabbits getting it somehow, ive been washing my hands after handling the rabbit, and they have a door seperating them...is this enough?

I am going to move this to the infirmary section. You will get better answers there.

I hope everything works out for you and this little bundle of joy.

Thank you for helping this little baby

californiagirl wrote:
Somebody decided to abandon there rabbit today at my house in a box on my doorstep.  I just moved this weekend too.  She/he is a white angora rabbit, and appears blind.  Her eyes are splotchy white, and from looking at medirabbit, kind of looks like E. cuniculi.  I live in a studio, and my four rabbits are in my room.  I have kept her quarantined in the bathroom.  Im hoping tomorrow to get her to a vet, not sure though because I just started a new job.  I wish I could get some pics tonight but my camera doesnt have flash and I dont think theres enough light to get a worthwhile pic.  My question is, how contagious is E. cuniculi?  I really dont want my other rabbits getting it somehow, ive been washing my hands after handling the rabbit, and they have a door seperating them...is this enough?

Its spread by spores in the urine. I'm not sure at what periods of time over the course of the disease, though.

Most important thing is keeping everything clean that can come in contact with urine.

Hope that's not what it is. :( Cataracts would be easier.

sas :clover:

WOW some people are just terrible. As our Aussie friends say, "good on ya" for taking this guy in. I'm sure that few rescue organizations or shelters will have the resources to treat him.

About the contagiousness of EC: most bunnies have already been exposed to it. The spores are shed in the urine like Pipp said, but they are also passed from mother to kit in the womb. Almost every bunny that you will find, outside of a lab or research animal breeding facility, will have been exposed to EC at some time in their life. In fact, if you do the test for EC, it will be positive for almost every bunny except those I mentioned. Our Benjamin had an EC test done at about 6 mo of age, and it was positive, but at a low level. We got him from a rescue group that had pulled him from a shelter, and he hasn't shown any outward signs of the disease. So, it's ok to let your bunnies be around him. I would be more concerned about other things he might be carrying, like internal or external parasites, as far as spreading to your bunnies. I would do at least a 2 week quarrantine, and have him seen by a vet during that time.

Whenever somebody from Cali comes on with sick bunnies, I like to mention Save a Bunny
http://www.saveabunny.org/
and The Rabbit Haven
http://www.therabbithaven.org/

They're two very proactive rescue groups for rabbits that have a lot of resources and really champion for sick bunnies that would otherwise be put to sleep at a shelter.

However, I don't know one thing about the geography of California, other than that it's pretty darn big, so you might be 10 hours drive away from them, sorry.

thanks for the responses! heres a pic of her eye, my camera is not good so its kind off hard to see the spot in her eye. shes also been chewing the fur off her legs, im assuming from stress. poor girl is a mess!

017.jpg

032.jpg

californiagirl wrote:
Somebody decided to abandon there rabbit today at my house in a box on my doorstep. I just moved this weekend too. She/he is a white angora rabbit, and appears blind. Her eyes are splotchy white, and from looking at medirabbit, kind of looks like E. cuniculi. I live in a studio, and my four rabbits are in my room. I have kept her quarantined in the bathroom. Im hoping tomorrow to get her to a vet, not sure though because I just started a new job. I wish I could get some pics tonight but my camera doesnt have flash and I dont think theres enough light to get a worthwhile pic. My question is, how contagious is E. cuniculi? I really dont want my other rabbits getting it somehow, ive been washing my hands after handling the rabbit, and they have a door seperating them...is this enough?
sounds like cataracts,??-you are correct in isolating the new bun,,error on the side of safety for the other four buns,,..you already have an exotic dvm,,this is good,,and i think our actions with wildlife defines who we are,,good job...sincerely james waller:wave::rose::highfive::biggrin2::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back