* A Wild Newbie Appears *

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyAnanke

Slave to Chloe
Reaction score
Teehee, Sorry about the title, I thought I would be a little bit funny :)
Anywho , :wave: from las vegas :)

I have ALWAYS wanted a bunny my whole life, since I was little, but never really had the money to buy the bunny and ALL the supplies. My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting a bunny for about a year now. (We do also have dogs and cats, so I have always been afraid of that, But all my animals grew up around my hamsters). A friend of mine had a bunny, that I would always play with, and "babysit" while she was away. (I hope i'm not getting off topic here, just need to give some back story to the current story).
So, I am in this group on facebook, for "Exotic Pets", I'm a HUGE animal lover, (Plan to open a Shelter, but thats a WHOLE other story). This women had posted and ad, That had a picture of a cute little rabbit. It said " RABBIT, FOR FOOD OR PET, I DON'T CARE, $8 FIRST COME FIRST SERVE". I saw the word "Food" and didn't even Hesitate, I wrote INTERESTED, right away. (I understand the circle of life, and animals get eaten, but in my head.. not a cute little bunny). I told my boyfriend, and he went and picked her up. Sadly all we know about her is that she is a girl.
I plan to take her to the vet next week, and get some answers of maybe age, and if she is fixed. I don't know if I want to fix her.
The people who were selling her, said she was "the neighbors" and that she is "mean". When she got here, she came right out to me, and kinda clenched onto my arm in a don't let me go kinda way, I finally got her to eat some of the dry food, and some lettuce and carrots, and she gives me kisses on my hand, She has been very good with my other animals (and them with her).
Anyways, I was looking up cages and such on ebay, to see how much money I'm going to need for one, and I came across beds for rabbits, and I was like, Hrmm I can make one... So I google searched how to make one and ended up here. Writing this LONG intro (Sorry about that).
I decided to join, because well.. I have no real experience with rabbits, and I can always use the support. I'm slowly going through alot of the articles (there are alot) but thought I would take a break to introduce myself, and my new little baby Chloe.

I have had Chloe now for 3 days, and have learned a little more about her personality wise. She is so sweet and loves to flop around my bed :) Hehe.

Here are a few photos :)

fav.jpg
viewer.aspx
viewer.aspx
viewer.aspx
viewer.aspx

Ah well done on saving her. I am so glad you got her. She is lovely too x x

Congratulations to you (and to Chloe as I think she's the real winner here). She is lovely and looks to be acclimating well to her new home and new life. It never ceases to amaze me how individuals can obtain animals just to be rid of them later. My pets have always been forever pets. And, it's apparent that has been the case for you as well. Chloe is fortunate to have found someone who will give her the life she has always deserved.

Please continue to post (and share photos of your lovely bunny lady). In time, I suspect you'll be a full-fledged bunny slave! I'm new to this site as well and have not even brought home my rabbit, but I have much experience with house rabbits and others. Even knowing what I do and having veterinary experience, this site is teaching me things. And, I'm excited to be able to dig in and form relationships here while participating in a supportive environment. I hope you do the same. Congrats, again! And, welcome!

Hi & :welcome1 to you & Chloe!
So glad you were able to rescue adorable little Chloe! If you have the room I would suggest an xpen for a cage for Chloe. That is what I use for my two bunny girls. It gives them room for some hidey boxes to sleep/play in, a cat litter pan, and their food/water bowls with some room to spare. I purchased one from Amazon.com for about $40 which is much cheaper than I have found for a ready-made store bought small cage! Linoleum, office chair mats or coroplast can be used as a floor to help maintain bunny water spills, mess & the occasional bunny pee accidents.

Food: Make sure she has plenty of hay & water at all times. Timothy, orchard grass or other hay. Don't give her alfalfa hay if she isn't a baby. Alfalfa is too rich for adult bunnies. Also, I would recommend a good rabbit pellet such as Oxbow Essentials.

Introduce vegetables & herbs slowly to be less likely to cause digestive upsets. In my opinion herbs are the best to start with or Romaine lettuce. Give small amounts to start & gradually increase. Check in our Rabbits 101 (I think) for a list of bunny safe vegetables, herbs, & fruits. Fruit should be given sparingly as they are high in sugar. I mostly use fruit as treats.

Litter Pan: Yesterday's News or Petsmart's Esquisicat paper litter unscented is what I use. Whichever litter pellet you use be sure it is either cat paper litter or a safe wood litter.

Those are the basic things needed to start Chloe with. A good bunny savvy vet visit is in order as well. Hope you will keep us updated on Chloe! So glad you joined & hope you will find RO your online bunny home as I have!

Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

@ceilpaws
I will defiantly be posting pics of Chloe and keeping everyone updated :)

@Tauntz
The cage I have her in right now is temporary until I get paid next week :) I actually plan on making her a NIC cage, 4 length, 2 wide, 3 stories high :) We plan on moving in March (because our lease is up here) and finding somewhere with an extra room, so she an have her own room :) I feel a bit of spoil coming on :) Hehe. She loves Romane lettuce, and cilantro, I give her a bit twice a day, and she has hay.

I love that you literally saved that beautiful girl's life! You did a very good thing. Yes snakes need to eat but that is why God invented frozen food.

you'll find that more of her personality emerges the longer you have her and the more at home she feels. Enjoy her.

Hi there, welcome to the forum. She's a very sweet looking bun, and I love the photo of her with your malamute :D

In regards to desexing, if the vet doesn't think she's ever been bred, I would highly recommend it. Females who've never bred have a high risk of cancer. So it's at least worth discussing with your vet once you've determined approximately how old she is etc. :) I hope she continues to settle in well.

Back