A Warning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolores Lindvall

Reaction score

A GOOD WARNING TO US ALL..
My brother and his wife learned a hard lesson this last week.
Their house burned down...nothing left but ashes.
They have good insurance, so the home will be replaced and most of the
contents. That is the good news. However, they weresick when they found out the cause of the fire. The insuranceinvestigator sifted
through the ashes for several hours. He had the cause of the fire
traced to the master bathroom. He asked my sister-in-law what she had
plugged in the bathroom. She listed the normalthings....curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying to her,"No, this would be something that would disintegrate at hightemperatures." Then, my sister-! in-law remembered she had a GladePlug-in in the bathroom.
The investigator had one of those "Aha" moments.
He said that was the cause of the fire.
He said he has seen more home fires started with the plug in type room
fresheners than anything else.
He said the plastic they are made from is a THIN plastic. Hesaid in every case there was nothing left to prove that it evenexisted. When the investigator looked in the wall plug, thetwo prongs left from the plug-in were still in there. Mysister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night lightbuilt in it. She said she had noticed that the light woulddim....and then finally go out. She would walk in a few hours
later, and the light would be back on again. The investigator said
that the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather
than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down, it would come back
on. That is a warning sign! . The investigator said he personally
wouldn't have any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in
his house. He has seen too many burned down homes. Thought I would
warn you all.

Pass this on to the ones that you love,

Don't know if this copied over correctly or not. This hasbeen quite a topic on SkunksAreUs, and I thought that I would trytopass the word on. A lot of this "fragrance stuff"can be harmful to skunks. Anybody know about rabbits?

Thank you for the warning, Delores.

I saw one in my house and when I read your message, I called myneighbor and asked her to remove the Plug-In. She called meback and said it was Very Hot.

I will certainly pass this onto my loved ones and friends.

-Carolyn

Oh Dolores, how awful for your brother and his family - Thank God they were OK.

I never thought about those plug ins being dangerous. I guess they areas bad for bunnies as they are for skunks-I mean if a bun licked themor chewed on them - as they do - I guess they could be toxic. Icertainly won't be using them.

Jan

My understanding of the whole thing is that itis not the licking or chewing.It's the breathing of the fumes that are given off. Here'sanother thing talked about with skunks.....any kind of bug spray usedin the house...hair sprays...colognes...perfumes...all of those kind ofthings.....not being good for the house skunk to breathe. (Idoubt it that a person could never, ever use those things again, butit's kind of like dumping the cat litter into thetray underthe rabbit cage.......Don't do it with the rabbit in theroom. So, I wouldimagine that it would bethe same with these sprays.....including spray roomfresheners. Whenever (and it's seldom!) I decide that Ireally have to use any kind of bug spray, I always took Baby for a ridein the car and kept her out of the house till the fumes had goneaway. And, I will certainly do the same now withBushie. Back a few years ago, when I had Mickey as a houserabbit, I didn't know about any of that. So now I have thisguilt thing in the back of my mind.....did I do something thatcontributed to his death?

Thank God that this was not my personal family who had thefire. I blocked off some of the message, as there was a lotof other stuff that didn't need to come over here. This wassomeone else's brother and family. But, it could beanybody's family, house, pets, everything.

And, yes, when I removed my Glade plug in (without the light), it was hot, also.

Don't pull the plug too fast!The hoaxemails have been deemed "unsubstantiated" with no official evidencethat the plug-ins pose a hazard. The rumors most likelystarted due to a recall citing a "potential" fire hazard due to afaulty connection in some units.

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/glade.asp

Pam

That's funny Pam, Iwas off searching hoaxbusters as you were posting thatmessage. I always run a check of all warnings I get viaforums and e-mails because so many things sound factual and they simplyare not. I suppose in this case the jury is stillout. Thank you Delores for giving us the heads up.Better safe than sorry.

I just read thru the info on thatwebsite. I see that this was a problem two yearsago. Whether or not it has been completely fixed...well, Idon't know. It talked about the fire hazard thing, butI didn't see anything about the fragrance put out by theunit.....and besides burning down my house, it's what harm is done bybreathing in the stuff (whether it's a plug in or the other mentioneditems).....which was thebigger point taken onSkunksAreUs. I won't tell anyone how to run theirhousehold...what to plug in and what to unplug. I'm not goingto have them here.

Back