A Very unusual rehoming posting on Craigslist

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
This has been sent around on several of the lionhead lists today - here is the note that was attached with it...

Hi Everyone, I found this post on Craigslist and thought it was cute. Sorry if anyone is upset over this.
[line]

HELP NEEDED ASAP:

Please help!!!! After two long years of being on a waiting list for an agility dog, we have been notified by the breeder that, at long last, our number has come up and ...

WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!!!

We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST place the children into rescue this weekend!

They are described as:

One male - His name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite. Temperament tested. Does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet. Has had chicken pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed. Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained & gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be able to read soon.

One female - Her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), strawberry blonde hair, green eyes, quite
pupfreckled. Two years old.

Can be surly at times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy & can be affectionate. Gets along well with other little girls & little boys but does not like to share her toys and therefore would do best in a one-child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training -- shouldn't take long at all.

We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for them; that is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new
puppy.

I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real emergency here!!! They MUST be placed into your rescue by Sunday night at the latest or we will be forced to drop them off at the orphanage or along some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.

This is not for real, but the choice to get a pet is a lifetime commitment..

:biggrin2:

I love that post! LOL It certainly comes with a great message...now if only the ones who need to hear that message would actually take it to heart.

Was at my dentist's a while back, having oral surgery. I went back to her a week later to get stitches removed and told her about all the problems I'd been having with my mouth, as I'd had a rather nasty reaction to the antibiotics they'd given me. So I was telling my dentist that while my mouth was extremely sore, I took a lesson from a cat my dad had many years ago...Mickey. This was way back in the mid -70s. He'd become quite sick (feline distemper? geez, I forget now) and had developed so many sores in his mouth that he could barely open it. The vet who was treatingMickeyhad wanted to euthanize him, saying Mickey would suffer terribly and would starve because he couldn't eat, and the disease would only weaken him further. But we took him home and began giving him wet food in an effort to pick up his appetite. Well, that cat was as stubborn as they come. He'd look at the food, take a bite, then hiss and spit for all he was worth at it, thinking the food was causing the pain. Then he'd take another bite, hiss and spit, and so on. Not only did he manage to keep his strength up via this sparring with his dinner, he went on to recover, and he lived quite a long life.

Anyway, I told my dentist the story of Mickey, how he persevered and wouldn't give up eating despite the pain...and I sort of looked at him as my role model. So despite the pain and discomfort after surgery, I still forced myself to eat. Didn't hiss and spit at the food, though I will admit I wanted to at times. ;)

I think I had a point somewherein my rambling...

Oh yeah...after telling the dentist about Mickey, she laughed and then told me about her cat. She said the cat has been with them for a few years now, but if he ever needed to be looked after by a vet (i.e., medications and whatnot) they'd just have him put down instead.

After all, she said...he's just a cat. :?

How I'd love to be able to make a difference in this world, somehow...just by starting to help people to see that a pet isn't 'just a pet'.

What a perfect (absolutely perfect) way to word things...

I've told people before...my animals are very much my children. And one thing I keep in mind is that if they had the ability...and if I were sick and they were responsible for taking care of me, they wouldn't give up, they would care, they would do whatever it took to keep me alive and happy and healthy...so I do the same for them.

I look in my babies' eyes, and know that they communicate that they would do anything I needed if our roles were reversed...and I take that straight to heart, and return the favor. :)

Tinysmom: That is not unusual. I have seen that before. It is people who are tired of others rehoming their pet when it is no longer a convenience to them. They think that pets are just pets.

Well I say that pets are part of the family. Sweetie, Pudden, Kitty, Skittles, Baby Girl, Flash, Junior, and the two plecos and two male bettas are all family to me. Baby Girl, Flash, and Junior are my clown loaches which are fish. Point is all my animals that I have are family and I would do anything for them and keep them their entire life.

If I moved, they all would move with me, no one would get rehomed at all. I love my animals, they are my children.

I cannot stand people that get a pet and when they get bored or it becomes a nuisance they just up and get rid of it.

Also, on my list are people that get pets and don't take proper care of them, they die because of it and they run out and get another, do not take proper care, the pet dies, they go get another...etc.

I know someone that does that. I am not friends with them btw. They buy pets for the young kids and when they die from lack of care they just get another one. The kids are young and cannot be expected yet to learn and take care of the animals properly. Although, they are starting to show signs of wanting to learn how to.

On the other hand, I don't think people should spend all their savings & go into debt because of a pet with multiple health problems, the way you would for a child.

This is so funny, the sad thing is that people do it with their pets all the time without thinking twice about it. *sigh*

Seriously, did anyone REALLY READ THIS? They are implying that they want to re-home their children to make room for a puppy. This almost approaches the ludicrous responses garnered by Randy Newman"s song, "Short People".

LakeCondo wrote:
On the other hand, I don't think people should spend all their savings & go into debt because of a pet with multiple health problems, the way you would for a child.

I have to agree with this, I go the extra lengths for my pets sure, but I'd go farther for the sake of my kids and human family members. Sometimes life comes faster at you then you can possibly react.

Latest posts

Back