A sick bunny I saw

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
Ok, you all remember that thread about pet storerabbits? I'm not sure if any of you remember me talking about that sickbun bun I saw.....well, I muscled my husband into that store today andthe rabbit is still there!!!! Dave claimed that he looked to be gettingbigger, and I guess sorta maybe, but that rabbit does not seem healthyto me. He (or she) was just laying on it's side, eyes half closed.Icannot get that rabbit out of my mind.

He is adorable, all grey. I really can't stop thinking about him and amabout two seconds from hopping into my car to go back and seehow much he costs and maybe give that place a piece of my mind. Ok, Iwon't tell anyone off, but I'll at least fantasize about it a bit.

My line of thought right now is this: I have an extra cage that is bigenough for a baby rabbit. I am able to keep this rabbit away from myhealthy rabbits. I have extra of everything (litter pan, food dishes,ample amounts of litter, food, hay, etc.) The only thing is, I don'tthink my husband is exactly crazy about the idea of getting a thirdrabbit, although he is in love with our rabbits and spends a lot oftime caring for them and whatnot. I think I could talk Dave into it,he's pretty easy going.

What do you all think? Should I take this on? The rabbit could verywell be fine, but then again, I could be getting in over my head. Ijust feel so bad for it, and even if he/she doesn't make it, I keep onthinking that at least the last moments of its life would be a hell ofa lot better than where it is now.

If it were me, I would take the poor bunny. I myself wouldn't trust anyone else taking care of it.

Thats poor bunny needs someone to come save it.Maybe if your husand wont allow you to keep it maybe you can buy himand foster him or her until its better and try and find a home for it.I dont know if i could actully do that myself if i got attached. Just athought.

Cristy

Yeah, I'd get attached. Dave would too, for thatmatter. I think I'm going to run out there and see what the deal is.Unfortunatly, I'm one of those types of people where I get an idea inmy head and have to do it. lol

Of course, you can't save them all, butyou have an opportunity to save this one; kind of like thatstory about the guy and the starfish. Normally, I'd urge people against"rescuing" an animal from a pet store, knowing they'll only bereplaced, but this little guy sounds like he could use someone likeyou. I say go for it :D

Ok, just got back from the store. The bun bunisn't as bad as I thought, he was a lot heavier than I thought he wouldbe. Still, something doesn't seem quite right to me about him. You knowwhen you just have that feeling? I asked the lady there if he was sickand she said no, but of course she's going to say that. She told methat so far no one wants him, that they all want the little babybunnies. He's 4 months old now.

So...after holding him and petting him for a bit, I left the store andpromptly called my husband. At first he was like "We don't need a thirdrabbit." After about 15 minutes of me giving all the reasons why thisrabbits needs us, not the other way around, he was giving in a bit. Hegave me a "maybe" and said we'd talk about itwhen he gothome. We're going to go out there so Dave can take a look at the bunagain. He said maybe, but I'm thinking he's going to say yes, onlybecause he's an animal lover like me and has a soft spot for theanimals in need. I urged him to at least think about it.

Not sure where this cruisaide of mine came from to get this rabbit, butfor some reason I can't get the poor thing out of my mind.

awwww i hope you get him. Rabbits at the petco igo to sell for about 40.00 but i have never seen what i thought was toosmall of a rabbit. But i have never really seen baby bunnies so notsure if i would know. but they dont look super tiny. as ofright now i would only get a bunny from the shelter Roger and Luv camefrom. Cause i can get the bunny and cage for equel or less ofwhat petco would charge and they only sell fixed bunnies. Thecharge is basically what they paid to have them fixed. Plus ilike idea of getting a older bunny who needs a home. not that petstoreones dont, i just am a person who has a never ending love of animalsbut not a never ending supply of money.

Cristy

Ya know.. I'm a firm believer that all of us havea sixth sense of some kind that sometimes you just can'tignore. A little voice telling you that something is notright about a situation. I say go get the bunny if you feelthis strongly about it. Something may be wrong and you verywell may be getting yourself a bunny that you won't have for toolong. On the other hand you may have a very long-livedpartner that brings you and the family lots of joy. Eitherway you won't loose really. I know extra animals mean extraresponsibility. Honestly, if it were me and I felt thatstrongly about not leaving the bunny there I would buy it as a fosterthen turn around and find it a new home. I have done thismany times with stray dogs and cats and in the end when you know youhave found the animal their forever home it is very rewardingactually. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do withthis bunny.

-Cheryl

I just feel that considering we have double, ofeverything for our rabbits (half of the stuff is just sitting instorage), why not? I mean, we evenhavea cage forwhen/if this rabbit would join our other two.

I am aware that it could very well be a rabbit that may not last thatlong, but to me, it's worth it to give it a better life, however longerthat may be. And who knows, maybe this rabbit would turn out to be thebest of the bunch! In its own way, of course. I don't have a favoritebunny, they both have things I love/wish I could change about them.

Hopefully Dave will cave in. I can see his reluctance...another rabbitdoes mean more work. But the way I see it, it's not going to be thatmuch of a difference. I mean, I clean their cage once a day anyway, andwe buy in bulk so I doubt we'd notice much of a change in that. Moneyisn't really the issue. I think he's just thinking it's turning intoanimal farm or something here what with two rabbits, two cats and twofish tanks. :p

That's it? At one point we had a rabbit, fourferrets, two rats, two dogs, a cat, several fish, and two frogs. And apartridge in a pear tree...:p

My fiance's family has two dogs, 3 alligatorsnapping turtles, 1 box turtle, and I think 23 cats (had to put onedown this weekend :()

All of them were rescued from abusive homes, or from the streets.

Sure the house may smell like kitty poo, but the fact that theseotherwise unwanted animals have a safe and loving home warms myheart. Specially since Shawn's father has such a 'tough' guyexterior.

I know. When you see an animal in a condition like that and they can't do anything to help themselves...just breaks your heart.

Whenever I see a recuse cat or something like that, I always want totake it home. Always. I told Dave we need to live on a farm orsomething.

Good luck with what you decide,Stephanie. I agree with others that say they would get it andif you can't keep it for any reason, then have it adopted. I think ifyou don't take it, and it disappears from the store that you are alwaysgoing to be wondering what happened to it- Jan

One pet store sold one to me for a penny, statelaw here says you cannot give live animals away. He wasgetting bigger and they were getting new ones in and he was afraid theysmaller ones would get bought first.

Ed

Well, Dave very, very reluctantly agreed to athird rabbit. He still doesn't seem to be all that enthused and isworried about how our (very) bonded rabbits would react and if our cageis big enough for three adult rabbits. It's perfect for Abby andChompers (we built it ourselves).

I have to admit that now I am having reservations! Yesterday I was sogung ho about it, and now I'm starting to wonder if it's ultimately agood idea. Yes, it'd be GREAT for the rabbit in question. We went therelast night, found out it'sa female, and she did take to us.Dave thinks she's not sick persay, but that she needs a more balanceddiet and hay. There was no hay actually! She needs more excersize, andall of that.

We are both going either way now. In our hearts, we do want to rescuethis little girl....but then we're also thinking about our rabbits. Wewere lucky that it was love at first sight with Chompers and Abby.We're not worried about Chompy, but Abby we're not so sure of.

So now we don't know what to do. I guess we're going to need to thinkabout it some more. Dave mostly doesn't want a third rabbit and I can'tpush him on the issue. I know if he kept on pestering me for something,I'd get all bent out of shape over it. It's not fair for me to make himget another animal.

Latest posts

Back