A second bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linsssey

Reaction score
I recently was given the possibility of adding a french lop to my family. I don't know much about her besides that she is 7 weeks old right now and I was told she can get up to 16 pounds. I have researched the breed a little so I know a bit. I already have a young mini-rex mix (about 4lbs), who will be getting neutered as soon as possible (he has not yet dropped...)
I love lops and know that they tend to have a calmer personality. I have never had a rabbit that large though. Which is one of the reasons that I am writing this post.

Are there any differences between a small rabbit and a "giant" rabbit? I mean besides size. Are they different behaviorally? Or is something I need to know about having a large rabbit as a house bunny? Basically I want to see what people's experiences are with a large rabbit.

While it would be ideal to bond her with my rabbit now, it is not a requirement. I would not be getting the new bunny just to bond with him. If it doesn't work out I have enough room and time to devote to healthy and happy separate lives for both. Anyway, is it okay to bond rabbits of such different sizes? Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I attempt to bond them?

Sorry, if this confusing or ramble-y. I took 3 final exams today and I am a little out of it. I have been thinking about it for awhile and I just want to get other people's thoughts before I commit to a new bunny.

French Lops are amazing rabbits! They are so sweet and if handled enough can make great love bunnies that dont mind being held. Mine was from a breeder I know at shows and he was the best rabbit. Now Kaley (kmaben) on here has him and he is still a great bun. He much rathers being with people instead of other rabbits but bonding all depends on the individual personalities of the rabbits.

There isnt much of a difference they are just like any other rabbit. Franklin would do binkies just like any other although it was funny watching a 10lb bun jump in the air. My frenchie only got up to 11 lbs max which is about what the breeder said he would get. I'd say 10-20lbs is a broad but achievable range since french lops have no maximum weight in a show. As far as the weight differences it should be fine. You will just have to be extra careful in watching out for scuffles.

That is awesome to hear! My boyfriend is watching my rabbit at his house while i move out of my apartment. I thought it would be less stressful for Melvin to move first as he does not like when I move things around. Anyway, He fell in love with Melvin because he is so interactive with people unlike the bunnies he had as a child. So he looked up rabbit breeders and found these French lops. We are going to look at them this weekend.

They told me that the bunny they have available (and are putting on hold for us) is a chestnut. I'm assuming that means a chestnut agouti? is there another color that is called just chestnut?

Latest posts

Back