A Sad Day

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyThieves

Reaction score
It's been a few years since I posted on RO, so this is more of a re-introduction. In the interim, we added and lost a few.On Sunday,our favorite rabbit died, presumably of old age. Fudgie, 6 y.o.,was a magpie harlie with the best personality. He was truly a prince among bunnies! He was our first rabbit, and because of him and his easy going nature, we were able to rescue three other rabbits over the years. He was our alpha and would keep all the others in line and getting along.

Last year we had four buns total, two female (one spayed, one not) and two neutered males.So, now we are down totwo rabbits (our spayed female also died, over a year ago), but would like to add more. Here's where I could use some advise. We'd like to rescue another bun, or two because we have the room and really enjoy them. The question is what is the best approach. First off, we can't afford to have our female spayed right now and she is VERY dominate and keeping separate cages logistically won't work. Would it be better to try for another female, especially if she is spayed (one of the local shelters willalter, if they rabbit comes from them). Or would we do better with a neutered male, who she might like better. Or would she do better with a young kit (do female bunnies have "mothering" instincts like some dogs and cats?).

I'd really like to hear your opinions, so that we can focus our attention on the looking for just the right rabbit, and not just make an emotional decision (bc it's soooo hard not to say yes to all those REALLY cute bunnies who need homes!!).

Thanks so much for reading and I'm looking forward to reading your responses!!

--Karen

Hi Karen!
Welcome back to RO! Nice to have you back here :)

Personally, I would save my $ and get the female spayed first.
As you likely know, bonding works out a lot better when hormones aren't messing with bunny brains.

In the meantime, I think you should try to foster a bun for a rescue/shelter. Keep fostering until you meet somebunny who clicks with your crew.
My $0.02 :)

I think you should post this question on the main forum as well :) More answers there!

Again, welcome back!

Latest posts

Back