A REAL Fixer Upper....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz16

Reaction score
So.... :) weve been house hunting the past year. Were approved for 60-80 area. Not much but we pay 700$ a month for rent in a cr*phole apartment and im tired of beating the stove to make it work. Im tired of apartments and being squished and my car being door dinged ect.

So my MIL comes over talking about this house. 20g in their small town in wellsville. Im like cool! But omg lol...this house would keep me busy. Great foundation, good roof, just interior needs work. Your lucky to find a house under 100g with a decent roof or decent foundation but the insides all need work.

Well levis gpa used to build houses, my grandpa too. We could hire his grandpa to help with carpet, kitchen, ect help him with money...and the yard needs work. Probably as much as the house lol. Just more fun for me. Not a lot of yard space though. So a decent sized garden will have to shrink and play area for girls will take up the yard..figured if i fence the front yard too then give some extra run room for dog. Cute little white fence :)

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/203-Main-St-Wellsville-KS-66092/91156326_zpid/

With good bones you can do a lot with fresh paint and carpeting. I'm also looking into buying. It's hard getting a landlord to agree to our zoo.

Brenda that house has lots of potential. I love the yellow colour too.

I would pull up that carpet and instal nice flooring before moving. Gosh know what those carpets have seen. You could always paint the panelling. That would also brighten up the rooms too.

Good luck with your decision.

Susan:)

It says it comes as is, so I'd want to have more than one inspections. I'd also want a buyer's real estate agent, not just relying on the seller's agent. You may be able to get some of the repair costs as part of the mortgage. I sold a place with an allowance for new windows, etc.

I also noticed that the value of the property for tax purposes was way more than the asking price. I've never seen that before. Have you found out what the property taxes have been the last few years.

Also what the fuel bills have been.

I assume the neighborhood & the local schools are ok.

Wellsville is where hubby grew up. Small town, like main street gets you evvverywhere! Theres not even a mcdonalds in town :) theres not a lot of crime in town. Same amount of drinking less drugs than the city. But the schools, all teachers take same classes. Smaller classes can only be beneficial.

Its closed up but my mil peeked in and the carpets all been ripped up and theres hardwood underneath but i dont think its salvagable.

Unsure about ac and heating, not a lot listed on the sites. Its a foreclosure ina small town snd needs a loooot of work, not move in ready. So thats why its so cheap.

And wed for sure have inspections!! We havnt gotten that far yet.

I dont know enough about property tax to even realize or think to look at it. Itll be some questions to ask the agent. Hopefully veiwing this weekend.

Ive driven by the house a few times and it looks better in person, in some ways, but the yards a disaster. But i agree it does have a lot of potential and the possibility of later renting it out and moving to a house closer to his work would be a goal.

The panelling ive rarely seen in houses so idk if wed keep it or rip it out. But idk whats behind it.

Im new to all of this actually putting a bid down ect.
So start with veiwing. Then have inspectors come in? Or bid first?

And minus the insides prob needa be gutted and remodled its a good frame like you said brandy. And i could use the extra money towards remodling to my liking

I am also buying a fixer upper, it is a really nice part of town and only 46k. We can't wait to move in and start fixing it up. Whats funny is ours also has wood paneling. lol

I think wood panneling was all the rage back in the 70s. The house I grew up in had it too. We ended up painting over it and it turned out better than I would have thought. With my mom tearing it out was not an option, but paint I could save up for on my own.

Yards are all cosmetic. It really can drive up the price, but I would personally rather do it myself. Then I can pick the plants I like. I prefer to amend the soil before I start and put bulbs down before adding perenials on top. Then again, I'm lazy and want color year round with minimal work once it is in. :p

Good Luck in whatever you decide! We bought a house last year and remodeled half of it to fit out tastes and have half more to do. It is a lot of work and time (we did it ourselves, luckily hubby knows what he's doing and I'm a fast learner) but you can make it into what you want.

I would recommend a house buying book. The House Buying for Dummies is a good one and contains alot of useful info. There is so much to cover and think of when buying a house.

When we were looking we took into account the amount of property tax as that would be additional money we would be spending. We also took into account wether or not a home had city water/sewage or well and septic. Found one house we both liked, fit our needs but the monthly mortgage payment plus taxes, city water and city sewage were just too much.

But we did find our home in the end.

We are in the first new house we ever bought, with nothing for me to fix--put in new fans, fixtures, and knobs but don't really consider that as "fixing". 40 years ago we started with an older home and went thru it room by room doing the kitchen last. Sold it and got another--same thing again, and again, and again. Then started buying and fixing and selling ones we weren't living in, so the turn around was usually two months. Amazing, if you have the vision and the right house how things turn out with a lot of work and vision.

Seems like all of you have experiance with fixer uppers!!!! thats reassuring as i am slowly coming to terms with the amount of work a CHEAP house will be.

We ended up finding another house in town and we're putting a bid in monday night. been super busy with contracts and getting approved. no one even knew it was there!!! it was by chance levis grandpa saw it!! It goes up for investors tuesday at 12am, but HUD has to accept a bid from a person before investor if all checks out.

NO ONE would loan us under 50k for this house. that was a huge issue. They all said it's not worth their time....I get that. gotta make money. but still..blah. So, we went under a construction loan at 6% and got approved for 46-51g which is a looot more than we will need.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3086...y/3086747701-339-W-3rd-St-Wellsville-KS-66092

So I will say this for the house...the pictures do it justice. it is dirty. like it smells like an old house thats been closed for years..or my grandparents garage on the farm lol. There is grease on the walls everywhere. Dirt and muck and grim idk what some of this stuff even it. I told my friend its like a grease bomb went off in that whoooole house. The carpets been stripped out and theres wood flooring that we are going to try and salvage. ripping out the fireplace too. have a bunch of pics...

link to photobucket with pics. http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii536/fuzz16_2012/339%20w%203rd%20wellsville%20ks%20house/

list of things that need done...
1. grade around the house or make a receiving tank for the water, the house sits lower than land around it.
2. salvage hardwood and refinish or replace
3. scrub walls clean, killz it all, then repaint
4. maybe rip out fireplace
5. cut down the tree in front yard and have it removed, roots reuing the driveway and could do damage to area around house
6. rip out the concrete sidewalk on either side of house
7. clean crawl space vents of debris
8. pick up trash, debris, broken glass, ect around property
9. rip up dining room vinyl squares
10. clean and paint kitchen cabinets
11. paint, tile, or wallpaper kitchen walls
12. replace kitchen flooring
13. cock around tub or replace tub wall with tile/panel/ect
14. replace bathroom flooring
15. clean hall closets, replace shelves if needed, wallpaper shelves maybe
16. rip out, fix, or replace room closet shelving
17. clean or trash ceiling fans, raise if keep
18. fix window frames
19. eventually replace all windows
20. possibly replace sink and faucet

eventually were going to fence the yard, add a front patio, rip out the windows and wall in the master room to have access to back deck well build. build a garden in back. also driveway needs redone. lots of work :)

i am kinda annoyed at the fact that everyone keeps saying now you can put the rabbits outside. why would i put the money into fixing a rabbit to put it outside where i couldnt enjoy them as much...and theres no fence lots of stupid kids stray dogs and cats.

but levis grandparents will live around the corner, his parents down the road. so i could get a part time job if thell baby sit :) and then right around the corner a five minute walk is preschool/elementary school then about 10 minute walk is highschool :) they have a giiiant park at theelementary too!

Holy .....
All I can think is.. Jeeze you guys have it good down there if thats all a house costs!
Thats it, I'm moving down south, no more of this $600,000 for a hole in the wall ex-drug house, if I can get a decent house for under $25k
But seriously, good luck, I hope they accept!

Omg!! Seriously??? I couldnt afford a box up there!!!!

It helps its a teeny town i think

I am in georgia and we are buying a hud home for 46k. I love it even though it needs work. We are in the final stages of getting ready to close on it. Good luck! It has been very stressful this past month with waiting and getting paperwork together and everything. I can't wait till my animals have a big back yard to play in though!
http://www.redfin.com/GA/Kennesaw/2119-Carruth-St-NW-30144/home/25445896

Thats nice!! I like the kitchen pics with natural cabinets, not sure which pic it is now :) awkward yard though!!! And your fireplace is real haha, mines the steel box with fake brivk and vinyl brick pstterns

Lol thanks i had no idea the property line did that. Lol yes there are two kitchens to choose from. I like the white one better than the stained one. And its a duplex but the sides are connected so we are living in the whole thing.

Your buying both halves?! Plans to rent out other side? I like the country cottage feel of the stained one

Ya totally understandable. Does each side have the 3 br and they pretty much mirror one another, 2 houses pretty much!!

Latest posts

Back