A question re: hay variety

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomWiktor

Critter Keeper
Reaction score
In one of the other posts on here, someone made a point about feeding varied hay types. I hadn't thought abou this before, but it makes sense. But I'm a little confused. Can someone perhaps clarify?

I buy big bales of "feed hay" from our local feed store. This is what my rabbits get as their hay base, and they also have a hay rack stuffed with western timothy as well. Occasionally I give them some alfalfa. But should I be doing more? What is a good variety of "varied hay" in the opinions of the experienced? I've seen orchard grass , bermuda grass, and oat hay available, should I be buying that as well? How much should be timothy and how much should be other stuff? Is it OK to use plain old feed hay as the bulk of a bunny's hay intake rather than specifically timothy?

Any input appreciated :)

I was under the impression that standard horse hay is actually a mix unless it's specifically marked as timothy. And if it's safe for horses, it's definitely safe for the bunnies as their main hay.

I do try to buy timothy in addition to another variety, but I don't worry about it too much. With feeding pellets, a variety of veggies, and hay, I figure he's getting a variety of nutrients one way or another. A variety of hay would probably be most important for bunnies that only get a pellet and hay diet.

I thought feed hay was simple grass hay..which is a fine hay, but its timothy that should be the main hay sample, but as long as your provide both I don't see the problem.

I *used* to feed orchard, oat hay, bermuda, brome, but I can't afford to buy the $5 Oxbow bags at our local petstore anymore, so I am looking for other feed stores who might carry it.

I think its important to feed a really good varied hay diet because it helps with thier teeth, and its just nice to vary it. If I had my choice, I would have timothy in an unlimited hay rack, and in another rack, a handful of "mixed" hays as well.

*I called my boyfriend James, who him and his family owns and trains horses. "Feed hay" is traditionally just grass hay..not timothy or alfalfa.

My rabbits get probably 90% timothy hay. Then I will buy small bags of different kids of hay. I try to change it up. I switch between Oat, Bermuda, and another kind I can't think of. About 10% of their hay intake is a different kind then timothy. But I have found that my rabbits don't really care for the different kinds. If I put a pile of oat hay and timothy hay in their cage, they will ignore the oat hay so I usually mix the hay in with their timothy hay.

I do think feed hay though would contain more then one type of hay so your buns may already be getting a variety.

Amy, my bun also hates oat hay for whatever reason. Even if I mix it with timmy he just throws it around his cage. I've had success with Oxbow's botanical and meadow hays - he seems to eat them as much as the timothy, but everybunny is different.

elrohwen wrote:
Amy, my bun also hates oat hay for whatever reason. Even if I mix it with timmy he just throws it around his cage. I've had success with Oxbow's botanical and meadow hays - he seems to eat them as much as the timothy, but everybunny is different.
Thanks! I don't think I have ever tried those two. What brand do you buy?Where do you buy them from? I don't know if I have ever seen them but would love to try them.

As far as different hays, Orchard Grasses, etc. The different types of hay grind down the teeth differently, according to Randy. It makes a ton of sense. So, feeding timothy, orchard, western, oat, is all good!:D

Thanks for all of the informative and helpful replies. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of different types of hays and mixing them all together in a big storage bin, then putting that in a second hay rack so my guys have the feed hay they already have, timothy, then a blend. Seems fun :)

Amy, I buy Oxbow. If you go to their website you can type in your zip code and it will tell you where to find their stuff. But even at my local store they won't always have the same hay every time I go (though they always carry timmy). It's expensive though :-( I didn't mind with only one small rabbit, but now that I have two I'm going to look for something cheaper.

Currently, I just get Oxbow hay (timothy). I used to get 'leafs' of Orchard Grass-but my buns don't seem to be big fans of the Orchard Grass. Actually, they aren't big fans of the Oxbow hay either, but to date those are the only two reasonable options I have found in the big city.

I've looked into getting a second or 3 cut Timothy, but I'd pay more for shipping than for the hay. The seem to be happy to pick out a piece here or there, and stomp the rest into the ground.

Maybe try some oathay, it's very thick and different. Snuff didn't care for it as much as I'd like, so we tried the Orchard, he eats it, seems to really like it as he consumes more of it than he did the timothy and oat.:) Every bun is different, trial and error.;)

Back