A question for breeders and/or those with rabbits that know their history

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
My Cloud has turned out really vicious, despite having lovely parents, no mistreating, or anything like that (and yes, he's not neutered yet, but I don't think it can just be hormones because he is not like this with everyone).

He was the single surviving baby from a four baby litter.

Having seen my new babies, they do a lot of grooming each other, licking each other, snuggling together. They are obviously gaining a lot of social skills that Cloud missed out on.

So I was wondering what people thought about whether the fact he came from a one bunny litterwhich meant he lacked social skillscould have contributed to his viciousness.

I guess I'm looking to hear from breeders, or people that know their bunnies histories, be them from single bunny litters, or a group of litters, vicious or not.

Just a random thought :) and thanks in advance.

Genetics give rabbits a predisposition to certain behaviors as well as environmental factors and hormones kicking in.

Being the single kit in a litter does not necessarily lend a rabbit to becoming vicious.

Sounds like your rabbit is an "Alpha" personality- assertive and aggressive in establishing himself as the Alpha animal in the "warren".

Pam

Thanks for reply :) Yeh, I know a variety of factors contribute to it, I just wondered if this could be one of them.

pamnock wrote:
Sounds like your rabbit is an "Alpha" personality- assertive and aggressive in establishing himself as the Alpha animal in the "warren".
I couldn't agree with this more :)

Cool :) it really was a wonderment, that's all :)

He's 11 months old.

He didn't start, I don't think, until we got a new male on the scene, which was about in March, although he was a bit tetchy for a month or two before that (which coinsides with mating season, but not his hormones).His balls descended at 8 weeks, so he was very hormonal very early on, but never nasty. the other bucks were also concerned about the new arrival, but they just did mega spraying all over me, lol, trying to reclaim their territory.

The only time he is nasty is when I open his hutch to either change his food or water, to allow him into his run, or to pick him up. Once he is out of his hutch he is as soppy as always. He is clearly territorial, but only with me. I have tried going to him before anyone else, so I just smell of 'me'. I have tried with treats, going slowly, crouching down as much as possible, trying to distract him, allsorts, but whatever I do only works once, then the next time he is wise to it.

He's due for the snip this summer, so it will be interesting to see how much he changes.

Good questions though, you made me think a lot about that, and most likely the new buck has done this, lol.

Latest posts

Back