A question about rabbits and stress

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is something I wanted to address, because our assistant mangeress in work tells people to do it when they buy a rabbit, and it sounds wrong to me...but don't want to say anything unless I'm 100% sure that it's bad info.

She tells them no pellets for 24 hours when they bring a rabbit home...because the rabbit is stressed. Is this advice right? Just knowing how easy a rabbit can go into stasis, and the fact I've never stopped pellets on any of my newbies - it feels wrong to me.

Thanks.

I'm curious as to why she would think that withholding pellets would alleviate any stress in a newly-homed rabbit? The bunny should be sent to the new home with enough pellets from its former diet so his or her digestion won't be disrupted by a change in feed...but pellets shouldn't be withheld. The former pellets should slowly be integrated into his or her new pellets (if there is a switch in brands) over the course of the next week or two. Food should always be available, along with good-quality hay and - depending on the age of the bunny and his or her exposure to them - some fresh veggies. (These too, should be introduced slowly if the bunny hasn't been previously fed veggies, and not given at all in the first several weeks of life.) Bunny should be given plenty of space along with quiet time to allow him or her to get to know the new surroundings, smells, and people...

...but never withhold the bunny's regular diet. Seems to me that is simply asking for problems, right from the beginning.

Unless this is something new I've never heard about...someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I would never suggest witholding pellets from a rabbit that is used to eating them. I think that would stress the rabbit even further. You've changed the rabbits environment, new smells, new sounds, new people... why whould you want to change the one thing that would smell, look and taste familiar?

Every re-homed rabbit should be sent with a bag of feed that it used to eating and that should be used to wean them over to a new diet, if necessary. I even send the hay they are used to eating...

I think her intentions are good, but misguided.

This is what I thought too, and it is something I think they do when new babies come in store. Please keep giving your views on this, as I'm printing this page and taking it into work on monday.

Thanks.

I agree with the others, I have heard of other people saying this and have to disagree. When a rabbits digestive system can shut down within 24 hours then cutting the pellets out is not the best idea!!

The only way i could see this being done is if she says no pellets but LOADS of hay! but i would prefer to see a rabbit in as normal enviroment as possible so i would put pellets in straight away weaning if they are changing over.

I'd say you need to keep thing as familiar as possable. and when the little dear has been taken away from all her friends and is in a new cage all by him/herselfI would think you'd want to give her/him any thing you could(that was safe)that was familiar and something she was used to. would you want to go to a new house(and remimber, you didn't pack ANYTHING, and you don't know these people)and not get to eat for 24 hours? I wouldn't think so. what makes you think a rabbit would want to?

Anna

Back