A question about giving Sub-Q fluids at home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethM

Reaction score
My Nick has been fighting a mild GI Stasis.
He stopped eating Thursday night, wasn't better by Friday afternoon (I gave him some gas drops, usually that helps out), so he went to the vet. An x-ray showed a full stomach and a little bit of gas. He got sub-q fluids and a shot of Banamine, and I was sent home with Reglan, to be given twice a day, 1ml each time. I was also supposed to syringe fluids, Pedialyte, Ensure, water, etc.

Over the weekend, he did ok. He would take the Reglan, and the gas drops, which I continued, as well. He would barely tolerate anything else, and eventually wouldn't take any of the oral fluids. (I also tried babyfood squash, canned pumpkin, and pellet mush. All were a no-go, though he persists trying to nibble the linoleum.) By mid-day Monday, he just fought with me, tried to nip, and scratched at the towel he was burrito-d up in. So, off to the vet again Monday afternoon. (He had eaten a some parsley, and a few mouthfuls of hay, but not much more. Very few poops, the ones he had were tiny and tear-drop shaped.)

Nick is a feisty guy, very curious and must know everything that is going on, but doesn't like being touched at all. He runs away from me quite vigorously and is a master of escape. Being caught is an ordeal, involving much thumping, and he is pretty unhappy afterwards.

Another x-ray showed there was still something in his stomach, but no gas at all. He had also perked up noticably, so no Banamine this time. The vet tech gave him more fluids, and showed me how to do it at home. (The other option was to bring him in to get the fluids every day, I don't know how he would have handled that sort of treatment.)

The first time I tried the fluids, I poked myself with the needle trying to get the cap off, and again (different finger) changing the needle, and gave up.
The next night, I managed to get the fluids into him. I'm not usually squeamish, but I was *so* nervous I got light headed and nauseous. I stopped at about 40ml (the vet said 50-100) because I didn't want to pass out or throw up during the treatment.
He played for 30 or 45 minutes and seemed to be doing well.

He's more subdued today, but there's a lot of weather, my other bunnies are a little off, as well. Although he will eat some greens in the morning, it's not as much as usual, and I still haven't seen him drink water or eat a lot of hay. I'm getting a few poops, and some of them seem to have a core that's a solid mass of hair with just a thin layer of fecal matter around them.

I had another go at giving the fluids. This time I had my fiance help me, to turn on/off the drip. He was supposed to stop at "about 50." After he turned it off and I had the needle out, I looked at the markings on the bag and we'd only diven about 25 ml. I didn't want to stick Nick with the needle a second time, and decided some is better than none. Still not quite as active tonight, he played for a few minutes then settled down.

Anyway, I'm still pretty nervous about giving the fluids myself. I can feel the needle going in between the skin I'm holding, but have trouble holding the skin once the fluid starts building up. I try to keep the needle in the same position the whole time. He doesn't flinch at all when the needle goes in or during the procedure.
Is there any way I can hurt Mr. Nick? I just petted him, and it feels like the fluid has been absorbed.

I love him so much, and am terrified to hurt him. I spent most of my evenings afterwards laying by his pen watching him, I am so nervous.
But I feel like I should be able to learn to do this at home, so I don't have to traumatize him with daily vet trips until he's better.
Oh, and I'm supposed to give the Reglan until 2 days after Nick's appetite returns to normal, so he's still taking that. His companion has been a little distant, but she will try to steal food from him when he does decide to eat, and will still snuggle with him a little.

Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated, thanks, and sorry this is so long.

It sounds like you are doing a great job doing shots for the first time. I think the only way he can hurt himself is if he jumps during an injection. But that just happens sometimes.

Sounds like your boy is like our Penny, doesn't like to be held. Penny dreads being held, but we still do a bunny burrito and give her fluids when needed. We have a syringe that can hold about 5-10cc, with a curved nozzle. We just put it in the corner of her mouth and move it around on her tung gently and she starts drinking. But sometimes it will take a while. If you have a person to help you its a BIG plus.

But keep doing what you are doing with the actually injections. Just relax and take control.

Hey Beth I know the "squimish" factor involved in giving sub Q"s.. Had to do it with 2 of my cats and I always start at the first few being sweaty - shakey and nervous which I think they pick up on.. After the first few it gets much easier and I can't even imagine how hard it would be to do w/a bun if your doing it alone..

Hang in there, move the injection site around and I learned early on if it doesn't go "right" one time and the animal is REALLY against having it at the moment - let it go and come back to it later..

I feel for you and feel free to PM me if you need to "vent" with the stress of it all..

I agree that you are doing a great job. It will get easier each time you do it. Just keep reminding yourself that you are doing this to help Nick and it's a necessary evil in order to get him on the road to recovery. Sounds like Nick is handling the fluids well. You just need to try to relax a bit before you give the shots. I have these pills here that I take if I'm stressed. I got them at the health food store and they really do seem to work. Maybe you could give something like that a try.

I'm having to inject my box turtle in her front legs each day for a respiratory infection. I tell you that is no fun either. I was as nervous as you the first couple of times but it does get easier.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated on Nick.

Back