A question about charlies (and wool too - sort of)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I'm trying to think of how to word my questions here....it feels like I have a ton of them.

One of the major problems many lionhead breeders are having - is getting brokens that are wooly - too wooly (teddy style). They never seem to molt out of the teddy coat and look like fluffballs.

Let me show an example of a non-teddy broken lionhead:

That is Triad.

Now here is an example of a teddy broken lionhead:

Those 2 photos are of Buffalo Creek Sundae.

What I want to do is to create a "Charlie" from a breeding of two brokens together....so that I can get all brokens from them. I'm hoping for a buck that will be a Charlie so I can take him to more does and get more litters of brokens.

But I want to avoid the teddy fur going along into the creation of this Charlie.

Any suggestions? I know I'm going to use Triad. Here are some of the girls I'm looking at:

This is Girly-Girl

This is Arya:

These two girls are kinda sort teddy - but not really POOF teddy.

My options are:

a. Breed Triad to these girls to try get a charlie even if it is slightly poofy.

b. Breed Triad to a slick girl (already done) to try and get brokens that won't be teddy/poofy and then take a doe from that back to him to try for a charlie.

I have already bred Triad to a slick girl (today) and a broken girl too. I'm just wondering if there are any other suggestions or things you'd recommend?

HELP?

Peg

P.S. I have been told by a fellow breeder that if I could get some SLICK brokens - particularly bucks - they would probably be snatched up by other breeders in order to start some lines going of slick brokens. This has been a major issue for many many breeders. So in doing this, I do have a few breeders in mind who have already expressed interest in slick brokens and they are people I would be willing to trust with my rabbits.

What about using a single mane broken?

I have a broken orange single mane doe that I bred to a broken black

double mane buck and got some charlies in the litter that were not teddies.

I also bred a sindle mane harli doe to the broken black buck and got some

tris that were not teddies.

Roger

I do have a single mane broken I could use and I thought about that. However, she is the mom of Dusty, Bun-Bun, Drew (RIP) and Lily and in that litter of four - coming from a slick dad....Lily is a teddy. I'm guessing she has that teddy gene there somehow - but out of two litters with a total of 9 babies - she only had the one teddy.

She is my only single mane broken and I really don't have the funds right now to bring in another rabbit (along w/ the fact Art would want to shoot me).

Peg

Latest posts

Back