A new kitten is joining my family tomorrow.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
I know I said no more animals, but this situation was a special case and I'm now taking in a kitten tomorrow (if all goes as planned).

My mother (my actual mom, not the woman I live with and call "mom") and her boyfriend, along with my brother and stepbrother (for all intent and purposes) live in a town about 45 minutes from me. I talk with my mother weekly, but I don't see them that much because my relationship with them is so negative. But I do have regular contact with my younger brother and he called me this afternoon about a "situation."

They have cats. Lots of cats. And the majority are outdoor cats that haven't been spayed, neutered, or vaccinated. But they do have a couple of indoor-only cats as well that have had marginally better care. Well, one of the outdoor cats was brought inside a couple of months ago and got together with one of their unspayed females that lives inside and she became pregnant. She had 6 babies, but 2 didn't make it. That leaves 4 that are now 8 weeks old. My brother is concerned because my mother is out of town and her boyfriend is threatening to just dump the kittens outside. So he called me thinking that I'd be willing to help. And of course I was.

So we're going there tomorrow to pick up one of the kittens. One of my friends is going tomorrow night to pick up another pair and we're hoping the last kitten can find a home as well by tomorrow or else he/she will be coming to live with me as well. I'm also going to be setting up a couple of humane traps to see if I can get at least a couple of the cats in to the vet to be altered and vaccinated. Unfortunately they'll probably be released back outside if I cannot find a home for them (or keep them myself) but at least they'll have been vetted. My brother is also going to try to catch a couple and get them taken care of as well. My mother and her boyfriend are extremely irresponsible, but I'm hoping this will at least get them moving in the right direction. But I digress...

I'm thinking I'm going to be taking the tortoiseshell and white kitten and then possibly the black and white kitten as well since I believe they are both known females (torties are almost always female, right?) and get along the best together. But I won't know until I go there and see them in person as I'll I've got is a picture to go off of.

I'll be taking pictures if and when we bring the kitten home. I already have everything I need from the other kittens I rescued and have since boiled, washed, and sun-baked everything that they had and came in contact with. I'm nervous, but I just know it's the right thing to do. I just wish it would be the end of the cat situation at my mother's house. Hopefully we'll be able to help because it's just infuriating otherwise.

So a new kitten will be joining my family and RO. I guess everything happens for a reason, right?

Latest posts

Back