a new dog maybe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
As some of you might remember about a year ago Ihad to rehome two dogs cause of a move, I have since paid the petdeposit and pay extra to have a pet where we live.My son became friends with this boy who is staying here on a temporybasis. She has a dog she can no longer keep. Its aShitzu. He is a boy and I havent heard him bark and I havent seen anyaccidents in the house. We are keeping him on a trial basisfor a couple days.. My kids really want him but I am not surei want the reponsibilty of anotherpet. We brought the dog to makemy car payment and they suggested making a contract for the kids totake care of it.. Anyone got any advice? I don'twant to take too long to decide, since the dog ishere. He is so cute that don't help.

Cristy

The breed is actually spelled Shih Tzu. Ipersonally have two. Because they are small dogs they do not require ahuge amount of exercise or food. I have never met a Shih Tzu who didn'thave a good personality. I would suggest going for it. They tend to beindependent so there wouldn't be a lot of added responsibility. If itwere me, I'd keep him, but I don't want to advise you one way or theother. Ultimately you're the one who has to house the little guy andit'llbe your decision.

I don't see why there is a problem with yougetting the dog. At least he doesn't bark or do any accidents in thehouse. My pug and lab both bark, but pug has been good about not doingaccidents in house. If he's quite, gentle and a good dog then I thinkhe won't be hard for your kids to take care of. They will have fun withthe ****zu and really its not a bad word, if its a breed of dog. Yourkids will love him and will love his company. dogs are good companions.

Trust me there will probably be no problem with him. I got a question,Does the dog go in trash in kitchen or bathroom or drink water or stuffout of toilet??

trying not to be grosse.

Cleo

Hi, All I can say is.......If YOU likethe dog accept the responsibility, and keep it.Don't expect your kids to take care of it. If the kids don'tlive up to the "contract" are you going to get rid of it?It's nice when a child will help with the pets but, as with anything,the initial interest in the pet might wear off and you will have tofeed & walk him. My hubby "lost interest" in our dogand being that I am not "a dog person", I had to find him a newhome. I hate going out in the rain & snow.....so, myoutdoor buns come in
for the winter. A dog requires, as you know, lots oftime....(I hated the walking), it's a big decision.I know you'll make the right one. Charlotte

I think i have decided I want to keephim. I don't have the heart to tell my kids no and even myhusband seems to like him, he just brought the dog to bed.His name is Shadow that was his name when he came tovisit. I havent told my kids yet. I don'texpect them to do everything but i do expect them to have somereponsibilty for taking care of him. I wouldnt give him awayif they didnt though.. I might take away other things he likes if hedont help out though. My sister n law wants himtoo.. Offering my husband some money for him. Heisnt mine to sell and I couldnt put a few bucks over my kidshappiness.

As far as i can tell he dont use the bathroom in the house and Dont getin the trash. I havent even heard himbark.

Cristy

Congratulations,one of my daughters teamates hada shih zoo anyway he was a sweet dog.I agreethe kids should help and ifthey dont there is a punishment.bluebird

It is so exciting to add a new member to thefamily. I agree with Dootsmom. If the kidsback-down on their responsibility, what happens then? Alsotake into consideration the possibility of medical bills. Arethese shih tzus prone to any particular health problems? Howlong do they live? How old is Shadow? How old arethe kids? Good luck and keep us posted!

:D

Shih Tzus are prone to respatory problemsbecause of their short snout. One of mine has chronic bronchitis andhas had to take a pill every day for the past 5+ years. She also has anerve problem with one of her back legs. That is, the nerves don't sendthe proper signal to her brain and she doesn't realize where her backleg is. She takes a pill every second day for that and likely will therest of her life.
My other one is allergic to rabies' shots, but obviously that's notbreed specific. The point is, any number of illnesses can occur, but Iwouldn't trade my pups for the world. :D

Congrats on your new Shih Tzu. I hope you share a long, healthy life.

I just wanted to update everyone on our newdog.. We kept the name Shadow. He is one and half yearsold. We are happy to have him but he has done a fewaccidents in the house. He takes forever to decidewhere to poop at so I dont know if i am bringing him in before he findsthe perfect spot. He is really lovable and my kids lovehim. I take care of him more than the kids butthats to be expected.

I am a little upset with the past owner. She told me he was fixed and ifound male parts and when i asked her husband he said no he isntfixed. So now i will need to get himfixed. I will try and postpictures of him soon.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back