A male and a female

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKGS

Reaction score
I have a quick question. I am thinking about adopting another rabbit and have found this male that I adore. Now Abby is, of course, a female. I am wanting to say yes to this male but have been told that he will spray all over the place even if they aren't allowed around eachother. Is this true? I want to know beforehand as I don't want to get myself into something that I can't handle. Thanks.:?

neuter him then keep them apart about 3 weeks,better yet is have them both neutered will calm her.:thumbup

If you get him neutered, he won't spray. It will be better if you get him neutered too, as far as handling him and litter box training him.

I would get her spayed too. The chance of her getting cancer is higher, if you don't.

:) April

Another question. I have been told 2 females will always fight. Is this true? It seems this would be a gross exageration. I don;t normally buy the 'always' with no room for argument. Thanks for the replies.

not always true, but it does happen,again neuter and most of the bonding problems go away.

Definitely regardless of the pairing, spaying/neutering bothbunnies (in my opinion) is a must. Just makes for happeir and healthier bunnies.In some special casesintact bunnies get along, but I personally rather not deal with the hormonal and territorial mess that comes along with intact bunnies and bonding!

I've found male/females generally 'click' better. Though try telling that to my stubborn Pebbles/Georgie.. so there are exceptions to the rule! If you spay the girls, they can get along great! My two females (Poppy and Jasmine)out of my trio are best friends, they are always cuddled with each other. Now if I tried to bond them while they were still intact, they would not have worked by any means. Poppy was just way too territorial due to hormones with other females.

Females spray too.. so it's not just males! Before I got Pebbles spayed, I would find spray marks 3 feet up the wall from where her cage was! (talented bunnies!)

So if I was you, I would spay Abby (if she hasn't been already)and then possibly check out to see if rabbit rescues/shelters do 'speed dating' or bunny bonding at the shelter. It's a great opportunity to see how Abby interacts with others and to see who or what type of bunny she clicks with.

Latest posts

Back