a little panicked

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear that Jess is improving!

We look forward to more updates on how things are going. Ihave every confidence that you're a good bunny mommy and will workthings out so that everything is well in the end. :)

JessicaRabbit wrote:
So, some circumstances came our way and we now have anadorable beagle puppy. We introduced Lucy (the pup) to Jess...andthings DID NOT go well.

So, now we are a little beside ourselves because I just get sickthinking of the possiblity of not being able to keep her. So we werethinking that perhaps we could get Jess a pal to hang with her since wewill have to move her from the main room into one of the bedrooms. Cananyone give us any suggestions as to how we can reintroduce the bun& dog? The dog was really well behaved, Jess just absolutelyfreaked out. We feel so horrible and need some help
See in some ways I am no good at answering this and other ways I'm verygood. Since I have all my buns I tend to use thebun bst for the job of dog greeting and training, that doesn't helpyou. But With puppies I choose the time inbetween play and sleepgenerally not long after they have eaten so they aren't as interestedin chewing at the poor bun.

THe baby gate isn't such a bad idea. Sorry i'm not famular with whoruns free and who has a cage on this board. But even her in a cage witha baby gate in the door way they can see each other but puppy can onlygo over for special greetings.

In my opinion getting her a buddy right now would be stressful and alotof change and I'd hold off till after things have settled with thepuppy. She already has so much change with poss being movedto a different room and competition from that big fuzzy butt:p

sniffing, licking, when you get to that point are all fine,discourage barking, pawing, and chewing or nibbling as they could turninto rougher play.

Keeping Jess up at a even level with the pup is a good idea to that wayeven though I'm sure she is small the pup is not looming overher. I hope that helps a little.

We have 3 dogs, lab puppy 15 wks old, 3 yr old whippet mix,and a 10 yr old border collie mix. My oldest plays theprotector of them(the rabbits) my oldest is good with allbuns of all sizes and ages :)THe puppy is good at moments, and has tobe around buns who do't mind his licking as her loves to lick them allover. and the whippet mix has to be around buns who don't mindbeing nosed and followed.

If you have any questions you think I can help you with please just drop me a line :)

best of luck--Gabby

Thanks you guys! you are all so kind. Jess sendshugs & kisses to you. She is doing MUCH better, we just had tomove her so shefelt safe in her cage. Things are just waymore mellow now, I truly appreciate your thoughts

My beagles are outside dogs and my rabbits are inthe house.Actually the hunting is an instinct.Some dogs have more thanothers you cant teach it.My daughters jack russell cant be trusted withbunnies or chickens either.bluebird

I dont like to assume people know things it canbe dangerous to their rabbits.Since im new to the group idont know what you are knowlegeable about and many of the people onthese groups are children and people that have never owned a pet.wehave a beagle jack russell mix that is afraid of our bunnies havingbeen bitten by one of them.he was given to us because he wont hunt.ourchihuahua loves to chase chickens and refuses to be trained not to .idont know what she will do when she catches our rooster he is biggerthan she is.many dogs get along fine with rabbits some dont.I certainlyhope your training is successfull.bluebird

Back