A little hesitant about selling buns to my friend...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocoClover

Rabbit Geek
Reaction score
As some if you might have seen, I bred my bunnies and will have babies ready for sale in the middle of summer.

My very good friend, who also is my brothers very good friend, wants to get one. His parents HAVE had a house bun before.

The problem is that he has a very nonchalant attitude towards the whole thing. I believe he assumes the bun will just sit in a cage and be happy that way. I'm also not sure he even asked his parents. His parents did, as I said before, have a house bun a while back, and I'm sure they could step in and care for the bun if he needed, but I'm not sure they really want that.

I want to educate him about the joys and problems about bunnies, but I'm not sure a good way to tell him. I respect him a lot, so please don't say anything rude about him. (Sorry I assume the worst). I also don't really want to discourage him from getting a bun, just that I want to tell him he might have to do more than he thinks he will have to do.

I also want to tell him I'm NOT breeding buns just for money. I am just rather tongue-tied when it comes to awkward conversations.

Remember he is one of my best friends and I like him a lot. NO HE IS NOT MY BOYFRIEND. (Yes I'm a girl and he's a boy, but I have a different boy who is my quasi-boyfriend.)

I am probably worrying for no reason (I do that a lot). However I would like to ask him what he knows about buns, what he thinks his new one will be like, and if he knows the needs of a bun. I want to do this in the MOST RESPECTFUL WAY POSSIBLE, as he is one of my best friends.

Since he is one of your best friends, why don't you just ask him? You don't have to imply that he is going to be BAD bunny owner, but it's perfectly acceptable to just say something like, "Hey - about that baby bunny you wanted, is it okay if I ask you a few questions on how you plan to look after it? I love all my babies very much and just want to be sure everyone who takes one is going to give them a great life." Then you can talk about care, vet costs, rabbit proofing, how much time the bunny will have out to play, and gently correct/educate him if he's got the wrong idea about something.

I'm sure he'll be happy to talk it over if it makes you feel better. If he refuses and is like "Come on, it'll be fine, you can trust me", then he isn't a very good friend and person for not caring about your peace of mind, and you should insist harder. Remember, these baby bunnies only have YOU to speak up for them - so be absolutely sure they are going to good homes!

The breeder I got Felix and Clem from has a short document (2 pages) she gives to anyone who purchases a rabbit from her, or expresses interest in taking one home. It has all the essential information a new bunny owner should have - dietary requirements and suggestions, exercise requirements, living space requirements, health, etc. :) You could always set up one of these for any prospective buyers and give one to your friend, too.

I would make sure it's okay with his parents before giving him one. If you decide to let him have one you can always tell him and his parents that you will most certainly accept the bunny back if things don't work out.

Ok thanks.

I'm sure he will be very nice about it. I already wrote up a 3-page document about bun health, eating, space, etc. before he even asked, so I got that covered.

I will be sure and ask his parents. It is most likely that the bun will end up being his mom's pet and not his. I want them to know.

Thanks for the advice.

Good call with the document! It baffles me that people can know so little about rabbit care before taking one home, so I'm glad you're being proactive about making sure the babies go to good homes. :)

Yup. I'm really kind of obsessed about making sure of that. Like I said, they will probably be ok with him, but I am just a worrybug.

You do need to talk to his parents. It sounds to be like he is a minor and living at home, so having parental permission to get a rabbit is a must. If you are right about him not being too seious about caring for a rabbit and the parents ending up with having to care for it, that is a big issue. If the parents don't want a rabbit or don't want to have to care for it all the time, then getting a rabbit might not be a good idea. Getting a rabbit and then finding that it isn't getting the care it needs and taking it back doens't really teach much responsibility for anyone and can teach that you can just get rid of something when it is no longer convenient. It's also not fair to the rabbit to be moved around a lot.

You could ask if he is willing to come over and help you care for your rabbits. If he lives close by, then it can be easier for him to come. Showing that he is committed to coming over does help show that he could be committed to actually taking care of a rabbit of his own. It is also an opportunity to show him what rabbits can be like as pets and the care they do need. If it doens't work out, then no harm done, but if it works out, then you may feel better about selling him a rabbit.

Whatever you do, don't feel like you have to sell him a rabbit becasue he is your friend. You need to look out for the babies, even if that means saying no to someone you care about.

I'd print out the document you made and offer it to all the people buying your bunnies, I'm sure it would save them some stress and make the bunny's life much nicer.
Also, you should probably ask that the parents be present when he buys it, or confirm with them beforehand that they know.

You need to have a chat to him otherwise you will be put in a position where you will worry a lot. Tell him stuff that may put him off & you can get a gist if he is really serious about the responsibility of a new bun otherwise tell him he can come play with yours if he wants a bunny fix. I too have a booklet of about 8pages detailing everything about owning buns, I also supply complete set up packages & the option to courier food and hay for the babes we breed. The bun families keep in contact with me and if anything happens in the future the buns come back to me (hasn't happened yet fingers crossed) & come back for boarding when their families are on holidays so I can see how they are going. I think it's our responsibility as breeders (I'm a boutique breeder aka small amounts) to make sure our babies are going to the right home where they will be looked after, respected & loved- we do put a lot into them and I don't know about you but I get very attached! I do house training for house bunnies and free range training for free range bunnies and they stay with me till 10weeks so it's hard to part with them :( But good on you for not feeling comfortable with someone- I get a lot that are after a an Easter bunny etc & I reply with a no! And then try to educate them! Get chatting and it will make you feel a lot better & you won't need to worry anymore :)

Yup, I won't sell bunnies in April because of the Easter bun thing.

I will chat with him about it at an appropriate time. I will also ask his parents about it when they are around. I don't really know his parents that well, but I do know they are nice people like him.

I do plan on giving free hay and pellets to buyers. I will also have a return option in case buns don't work out.

Back