A good surprise for me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeniseJP

Reaction score
Benn came back from Aruba and his camera was stolen...

I palpated Roxanne a few weeks ago and not feeling anything (I am better at palpating my Hollands) and today would have been her due date. I truly did not think she caught.

Today she was carrying around straw in her mouth, looking frantic. I added the , she rearranged it and then decided to pull fur and have the kits on the floor. They were sort of covered but spread out and cleaned so I entered the cage and went to scoop them up.

Roxanne was not appreciative and sat on her babies, making them squeal and squeak and she growled at me... not like her. I put the babies in the box, nestled them down and there was a good amount of heat coming off of them.

Out came the Yogies and hay to appease the new mom... she was grateful. I will have to go make sure they stay warm tonight but I hate to pull the box and bring it inside because Roxanne is protective of the kits... I have never had a rabbit that was THAT protective.

I did not even count the babies - I held one well-marked kit and a self... but did not want to stress Roxanne anymore. Keep your fingers crossed that I have them warm enough for the evening.

Juno's kits are well - two black does and a broken tort buck...they are still enjoying their time in the laundry room as Juno's cage is portable... Roxanne's cage is a four foot by four foot wooden structure that cannot be moved inside.

Denise

Whew!

Denise

Finally got Roxanne away from the nestbox with some parsley and Yogies... and I have three broken blacks, two broken blues (one was dead), a solid black and a solid blue... hoping they continue to nurse and thrive. They are all marked correctly except for the self colors.

I don't have a camera at the moment thanks to the person who stole it from Benn's room in Aruba...hoping we can rectify that in the coming weeks...

Denise

Congrats on the new babies.

Our next litters are due in 10 days and I'm a nervous wreck already.

TinysMom wrote:
Congrats on the new babies.

Our next litters are due in 10 days and I'm a nervous wreck already.

Good luck with your impending litters, Peg... can't wait to hear about them!

Roxanne's kits are growing and warm in the nestbox... another day under their belts...

Denise

The kits will be a week old on Monday and they are thriving... they burrowed into a pocket in the nesting material and have their fur coming in... Roxanne is still very protective of the nest so I only check when she is eating something tasty...

Grace is enjoying her new cage and Remy moved inside to his new cage... just have to make an indoor cage for Jared. Grace is allowing me to rub her nose without any growling or biting...

Denise

The six remaining Checkered Giant kits have their eyes open - one venturesome kit was outside the box and felt chilled to me when I went to the barn this AM... I returned him/her to the box and am checking in a minute to see how he/she fared...

Now that I know can take pictures, it stinks that I can't as Benn's camera is gone so hopefully my descriptions will suffice until I can replace the camera.

Denise

Latest posts

Back