A genetics question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
Blacky is on her 2nd successful litter. She had 8, the runt died at 3 days and one died on the wire leaving 6. She has1 boy and 5 girls. her first litter she had 9 but 3 froze after coming out of nest box to early. she had 5 girls,and 1 boy.

My hand raised litter I have3 girls and 1 boy.I know2 that didn't make itwere girls, the other2 i don't know.

the other doe that died dec 31 had 1 litter of 8. 5 girls and 3 boys.

Why so many little girls?

It's actually the male that determines the sex of the kits:

Male XY Female XX
Statistically, Offspring will be 50% male & 50% female: XX XX XY XY

Out of 100 babies produced, you'll find the numbers work out to be 50/50. I kept records for a year, and found that it worked out accurately ;)

Pam

There are breeders who swear by breeding by the moon too - breed on the New Moon (I think) and you get does. Breed on the Full Moon and get bucks.

My girlfriend breeds on the New Moon and gets a pretty high percentage of does - I breed and tend to get bucks....even if I breed the same day.

Go figure! :X

Keep in mind that each offspring has a 50% chance of being each sex. Like if you toss 8 coins.Each one has a 50% chance of heads or tails. Overall though, you could end up with all heads or all tails, right?

missyscove wrote:
Keep in mind that each offspring has a 50% chance of being each sex. Like if you toss 8 coins. Each one has a 50% chance of heads or tails. Overall though, you could end up with all heads or all tails, right?

It is probable that out of 100 tosses, you get 50/50 - try it and let us know what you end up with :)

Pam

Latest posts

Back