A general rant about the stupidity of some people

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
As a lot of you probably know, I have several rescue rabbits, and I have a website that is called Hope For Hares. Well, I just got a phone call from one of those people that are so clueless you wonder how they survive. I'll give you the conversation as close to word-for-word as I can remember it.

Me: "Hello?"

Her: Hi, is this Hope For Hares, or whatever it's called?"

"Yes, it is."

"Well, can people, like, BRING rabbits to you?"

"Sometimes, what are the circumstances?"

"Well, I, like, bought this rabbit at the petstore, and I'm a college student and I work, so, like, I really don't have the time to clean his cage every day, and it's getting really stinky, so I wondered if you would take him?"

"Ok, so how old is the rabbit?"

"Um, well, he was five weeks when I bought him....and I've had him like, a month I think? Soooo...."

"Have you tried advertising or anything to find him a home?"

"Oh, um, no, I haven't tried that. That's a good idea."

"Well, you have my number, if you can't find him a good home call me back and I'll take him."

I have to say, it took some really incredible restraint on my part not to say, "So, um, like how come you bought him if you can't clean his cage?" I am also really ticked about the whole petstore thing, this is the fourth or fifth rabbit I have gotten either called about or taken in from that one d*** petstore, it's thankfully the only one in the area that sells small animals. I am really kicking myself now for not jsut telling her I would take him, I'm sure now I will see an ad in the pare in a few days for a free rabbit. I was just so mad about her total casual attitude, and that she obviously really couldn't care less about the rabbit, I jsut wasn't thinking straight. So now I am worried about the poor little rabbit as well as being mad. I could just KILL some people!!

:banghead:tantrum::pullhair:

can u not do the 1471 thing (well thats whatit is over here and it tells you what her number was) then say a place has become available?

You would think by the time they are at college they would understand how to clean out a rabbit!!

hope it all turns out ok and i so dont blame you for wanting a rant about it it would drive me mad to!!

People's ignorance and indiffrence really tick me off. I hope that her rabbit goes to a good home...or she'll "try" for a couple of days to give her rabbit away then call you back. If she doesn't care enough about the bunny to spend 20 mins tops to clean out the litter box, then I doubt she'll spend too much energy on finding another home for it.

Ugh, I completely sympathize with you! I volunteer at the local Humane Society and every time I go in and see a new rabbit, I ask why it's there. Most common answer- owners don't want to take care of them any more. A four month old lop and you're tired of cleaning it's cage already!?!

Still can't forget the nice, well-to-do looking young couple who brought in their dog on Christmas Eve. CHRISTMAS EVE! It was a barely year old and they couldn't handle it jumping all the time. IT'S A PUREBRED JACK RUSSELL! What do you expect?

But honey, I know you want to help them all but you know you can't. There's always that one more, just one more till realize you're overloaded.

:hug:

The callback thing is *69 here but you have to have it on your phone to use it.. it's charged extra each month or you can be charged per call back some places...

naturestee wrote:

But honey, I know you want to help them all but you know you can't. There's always that one more, just one more till realize you're overloaded.

:hug:

I've been sitting here with tears in my eyes over this rabbit, I know what's going to happen. She will advertise it for free, along with cage and accesories, and hand it over to the first person who calls without asking a single question. And since the petstore sells only very small breeds, like nethies, lionhead crosses and the like, what are the odds someone will feed it to a snake? I know I can't save all of them, but I keep thinking that it's really young, hasn't been abused and mishandled like most of the ones I have rescued, it probably would have been pretty easy to find him a good home!

Bo, I did *69, the number it gave me was a cell, I am going to try it and see what happens. Thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Ugh. Why can't your local shelter accept rabbits? I know you've mentioned that before. I'm so used to my local shelters all taking in anything that's handed to them as long as it's not a bigfarm animal- no room for those. The Sheboygan shelter has even gotten fish! Which yes, were adopted out.

They take them on ocasion. Then they call and give them to me. :?

Hi Gentle giants
I don't think that I am that far from you so if you can get the little guy and need someone to foster let me know. I am in champaign.

Ok, here is an update on the situation. Bo, thanks so much for reminding me about *69, I never would have thought about that! Anyway, I called her back last night and asked for more details. She told me she doens't have the $20 I aksed for as a surrender fee, which sucks cause that's like 40 pounds of feed right there, but anyway.

So I said, "Well, what abotu his cage? Would you mind giving me that?" She says, "Well, he's not really in a cage...It's more like a big fish tank..." I asked about what food is he eating. She didn't know what it was, other than he was getting some timothy hay. I asked (on the off chance) if she knew what kind he was. She said, "He has lop ears, if that helps..." But anyway, she is supposed to be calling me any moment now to set up a place for us to meet in town.

And get this, you guys-my Dear Hubby, who always grumbles about me getting a new rabbit, and is always griping about how much I spend on them, when I told him about the initial conversation with this girl, told me to go get the rabbit. And that's even knowing he will have to be in the house for a while! When I looked at him all shocked, he said, "Well, if she hasn't even been cleaning his cage out, he needs to get out of there." I almost fainted, LOL. So when I have picked up the bunny, I will take pics and give more details about him. Oh, and Michele, thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. I think you are about 45 minutes to an hour away from me.

polly wrote:
You would think by the time they are at college they would understand how to clean out a rabbit!!

Unfortunately, being in college does not always equate to intelligence. I can only say with some people its a good thing breathing is automatic. Makes you want to reach out and smack them upside the head with a 2x4!:X

Mia I know that any bunny that reaches you is in excellent hands. I hope you can get the little guy.

By the way Lilly says Hi!:)

I am so glad that you can help the little guy! Just let me know if you need anything. I will be in Champaign for another 4 weeks then back up to northern IL. But I like taking road trips so anytime you need help let me know.

Gentle Giants, I was so glad you could find this girl's phone and give the little bun a chance in life. He lives in a ...fish tank??????? I've never heard of such a thing in my life! Poor little thing! Please do get him out of there and tell us he's safe with you!

Marietta

To the fact of people on college.

I am 19 and raised a litter of kittens raise 2 dogs from 2 weeks and help dodge who in turn is in a real good place now.

Its not that they dont know how. it is that they are lazy as h***. I still have 2 dogs and a rabbit. And they all are very well taken care of. MY mom taught me from a young age if you take something on pet kid what ever. You take care of it. if you dont think you can dont take it.

Her parents never taught her responsiblty most likely. And probly never had a job in her life and had everything handed to her on a silver platter.

Sorry let me get off my soap box.

I hope the bunny is OK

Chevy_Dodge_mom wrote:
To the fact of people on college.

I am 19 and raised a litter of kittens raise 2 dogs from 2 weeks and help dodge who in turn is in a real good place now.

Its not that they dont know how. it is that they are lazy as h***. I still have 2 dogs and a rabbit. And they all are very well taken care of. MY mom taught me from a young age if you take something on pet kid what ever. You take care of it. if you don't think you can don't take it.

Her parents never taught her responsiblty most likely. And probly never had a job in her life and had everything handed to her on a silver platter.

Sorry let me get off my soap box.

I hope the bunny is OK

I hope I didn't upset you. I know not all college students are irresponsible. Some people are just not responsible enough to take care of pets or even themselves.

I'm sorry if I offended you, Chevy, I know that not all college students are irresponsible, I didn't mean to come across that way. It's jsut this individual is really frustrating me right now. She was supposed to call me at 11 this morning so we could set up a place to meet, right? Never called. So I call her again. Guess what? She is off in another town, looking at a house. She "just totally forgot" about me and the rabbit both, apparently! So we are going to try again later this afternoon.

Gentle Giants, I'm glad you were able to call her back and work something out! That's so kind of you to take the baby in :) And about the $20, I'm in college and I've noticed something... a lot of students will say they have NO money and complain about being broke, but still scrounge up the cash to buy booze and weed on the weekends. This girl is so irresponsible and I'm glad the poor little bun will be out of her care soon :X Will you maybe perhaps possibly post pictures of the little fluff ball when you get him? :biggrin2: And your husband's response made me smile!

Yeah, I will post pics, assuming thatI can catch this girl and get the rabbit... I have a bad feeling that she is never in one place for more than ten minutes unless she's asleep or in class, though. I'll do my best, anyway. *Sighs dramatically, wipes sweat off forehead*

:biggrin2:

No one but that stupid girl offend me in anyway.

I am raten about she could do it if she wanted to. She is just lazy. she should see how animals live in shelter wait she probaly would not care.

She is the type of person that will get a dog or cat or rabbit for there 2 year old child and think it can be taken care of by the child.

It took me turning 18 before my mom ever got me a pet ok I was 17 but still I take care of her everyday and she is spoiled rotten. My mom would never get me my own pet tell I could prove myself. And that is what every parent should do. that is how I learned the day I turned 16 I got a job

My dog phoenix who I got when I was 17.
I have paid for everyone of her vet bills from day one so she could do it. I worked 40 hours a week was a full time high school student and still phoenix got more then enough attitions probaly to much cause now she is spoiled.

So no it is not what yall said let that girl live a day in my shoes she would learn real quick. Can I have her # so I can set her straight.:grumpy::X:tantrum::rant::whatever

Chevy_Dodge_mom wrote:
It took me turning 18 before my mom ever got me a pet ok I was 17 but still I take care of her everyday and she is spoiled rotten. My mom would never get me my own pet tell I could prove myself. And that is what every parent should do. that is how I learned the day I turned 16 I got a job my dog phoenix who I got when I was 17.
Amen. You are absolutely right.

Latest posts

Back