A friends Bunny is sick! PleaseHelp

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenacrewoods

Reaction score
Hello! Everybody

I have a friend of mine that has a 2yr old ND Dwarf Doe (about 2.5lbs)that just had her second litter (6 kits)last friday and thatSat I went by to see here and the bunny was acting funny and couldn't hardly move the Back half of her body and was not eating as far as she could tell.

Well I called her today to see how her girl was doing (if she'd survived) and thank goodness she has, she's more active and moving around quite a bit today but still isn't eating and is still a bit sluggish. She has free choice Pellets and hay and I think she must be eating a little or she wouldn't have made it all week.

My real question iscould their be some after birth or a retained kit inside her that's making her feel this way? My friend said she seems a bit better but is not out of the woods Yet.:pray:

I read Here on Ro that some breeders give some sort of medication to literally flush outa bunniessystem! Does anyoneremember what this is called!

Any advice on what she should dowould be greatly appreciated!

Thank You All!

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"
"Involve Me,I'll Understand"

A vet can do a shot of Oxycontin to expel any dead kits - but you have to get the vet to do that (or at least prescribe it and you pick it up from the vet).

I'm not sure if the doe mightn't had a calcium deficiency.....I wonder if she was giving the doe antacids with calcium before delivery? That can help a doe w/ labor, etc.

I'll try to see what I can find out - but I think a vet should probably be seen...

Peg

Thank You! TinysMom

As far as I know she hadn't given her anything extra except her pellets and hay!

I did tell her too give the bunny some good stemming greens to help with bowel movement and only a 1/2 cup of pellets a day so she could tell for sure if the bunny was actuallyconsuming any of them and of coarse free choice hay!

Oh! I did also recommended the Nutri-cal just in case.I will alsotell her about the oxytocin.

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"

Here's a reply I sent to PIP who sent me a PM about the thread. (I just got your PM also Peg :))

Most certainly a situation where the bunn needs to get to the vet to check for retained kit, spine damage, uterine infection, etc. (Have they checked for mastitis?)

A oxy/calcium combination can be used within 24 of the doe giving birth, but it works in combination with the doe's own hormones to expel the kits. After the 24 hour period, surgery is generally required to remove stuck kits. It's always best to palpate does after they give birth, and to see the vet ASAP if any kits are retained. It's far more expensive to delay and leave surgery as the only option, although I have seen does finally expel the kits up to a week later.

Pam

Hello! Pam and Thanks for replying. Sorry I didn't respond sooner!

She says she has palpitated the Doe everyday since the kindling and has felt nothing, I did advice her to take her Doeto see a vet the day after kindling when I was her but for some reason she hasn't done it yet.:dunno:Financial problems I'm sure! :disgust:

Is itpossible it's mastitis?because the Doe wouldn't care for the Kits and had killed 1 of the 7 she had sothey were moved to a Doe that had just lost her litter anda second Doe with only 2 kits. May be she was full of milk and just really sore but shouldn't that have eased up in a week? Isn't that a quite unusually large litter for a ND dwarf?

Thank you Both and I'llpass this info on. That's all I can really do but I do call ever other day to check on her Doe, she livesabout anhour away from me. :disgust:

MikeE.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"

It almost sounds like you care more for her doe than she does....and I'm not trying to judge her.

I just think its great that you care so much about the doe that you ask here and then call her to check on the doe....

You're just an awesome bunny-slave.

Peg

TinysMom

I really don't evenknow her all that well, I met her when I first started looking for my first bunny a couple months back.

She seems like areally niceelderly lady and has a small Rabbitry with about 10 -12 bunnies that she says she's had for a couple ofyears now,it's a small place but really clean and well sett up. In the last month we'vequite a bit and she seemsquite knowledgeable about her Bunnies,It just seems like on somethings,I know more about Rabbitsthan she does (maybe set in her Ways)so I'd liketo try andhelp her out if I can, if She'll onlylisten.:dunno:Hopefully!

Thanks! Peg Your a Purty Awesome BunnySlave Yourself!:wink

MikeE.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"

I would definitely have her check for mastitis,but if she had been palpating the doe, she most likely would have noted it already.

It's also possible that the doe is suffering from an ailment unrelated to kindling.

NutriCal can help keep up her strength if she's not eating.

If the doe has a uterine infection, discharge and smell should be noticeable by now.

Pam

Mike, if money is preventing her from getting the doe to a vet, maybe this will help?
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12684&forum_id=10

One of the links on there is Care Credit, which functions like a credit card for veterinary and medical spending. There's no interest at all if you pay back according to their plan. Many vets take it.

I hope she can get the bun to a vet!:pray:

ThankS! Pam

I'll pass your greatAdvice along as always.:wave:

naturestee

Well I talked to her today and she said the Doe is doing Much Better, She's starting to eat more and Is moving around Much better this afternoon. I didn't get much sore out of her. But after talking to her about other bunnies she has and has had (She likes to tell me old Stories)I don't think it's a Financial thing I think she's just Sure that she knows everything there is To know About "Her own Bunnies", after asking My advice she seemed a little put off by all the advice I had calledTo give Her!:dunno:

Like I said she's an elderly woman, Probably in herearly 70'sand Maybe She's just lonely and enjoys having someone to Talk At. (as She does Most of it) :whistling

There Was definatelysomething wrong with herDoe a week ago yesterday but I haven't actually seen it since, I do Really Hopeshe isgetting better.

Since I'm retired I think I'll just take a drive to her place tomorrow or Tuesday and Have a Peek for Myself!:wink Hope she doesn't mind Me dropping by.:biggrin:

I'll definitely let everyone know when I find out more.

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"

Back