A few "why is he doing this" questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I still havent quite named the flemish boy.

Anyhow -

When I squat down to pick something up or whatever, why does he bump into my rear?

Why is he constantly rubbing his head on things?

Why does he bop his nose into my face if I am sitting talking to him?

Why does he make garbled grunting noises?

Why is he taking all of the hay out of his box and hiding it under my couch?

Leaf wrote:

Anyhow -

When I squat down to pick something up or whatever, why does he bump into my rear?

RE: Why is he constantly rubbing his head on things?

Our rabbits used to do that (when we got them back in 1998) to every thing new for about a week if they had a "new smell" on them and I guess he is just trying to make himself at home.

Not sure about the other questions. I have an idea but not 100% sure so will let some of the other - more experienced rabbit owners answer. :)

Luv-bunniz wrote:

Our rabbits used to do that (when we got them back in 1998) to every thing new for about a week if they had a "new smell" on them and I guess he is just trying to make himself at home.

Not sure about the other questions. I have an idea but not 100% sure so will let some of the other - more experienced rabbit owners answer. :)
I thought it may be so he could mark his territory, but I wasn't sure. It's better than peeing on things - something I've been lucky about so far.

Leaf wrote:
Luv-bunniz wrote:

I thought it may be so he could mark his territory, but I wasn't sure. It's better than peeing on things - something I've been lucky about so far.
Yeah!! Definatly better then pee marking! ;)

Leaf wrote:

Anyhow -

When I squat down to pick something up or whatever, why does he bump into my rear? Because he either loves you and wants your attention or you are in his way. Bo does that. Usually it's for attention.

Why is he constantly rubbing his head on things? His head or his chin? His chin it's to claim everything, his head - maybe it feels good?

Why does he bop his nose into my face if I am sitting talking to him? "I love you Mama!"

Why does he make garbled grunting noises? He's talking to you or just talking in general.

Why is he taking all of the hay out of his box and hiding it under my couch? I think a lot of rabbits are like packrats. They like to keep things and they tend to be obscessive about it. Someone said they are "task oriented" and tend to do something until they feel it's done. He might be "storing" his hay for a rainy day....

Leaf wrote:

Anyhow -

Because you're on his level and now he can get your attention. He wants you to pay attention to him. Tiny would continually come up and nudge me when he wanted attention (once I moved my office into his bedroom) and he would nip me lightly if I didn't pay attention to him.
He's marking it as his.

He's asking you to groom him. A rabbit will come up to another rabbit and either put their head on top of them - or under them - to ask for grooming (depending upon if they're saying they're the dominant one).

So he's trying to bop you to ask you to groom him and pet him. Most likely he wants his nose rubbed - but it could be his ears too.....

If he's intact...then he's trying to tell you he's interested in you as a mate. Otherwise - he could be a talker. Miss Bea "honks" when she wants to breed...she's been honking at Zeus for a few days now. Tiny used to "mutter" sometimes and make very quiet little noises.

I am clueless on this one - unless he wants to hide it from the other rabbits.
Of the rabbits I've had, flemish are the most "people-friendly" I know of. A flemish buck (and a doe too according to some I've heard from) will bond with a person and be extremely affectionate with them. I wonder if it is that they are not as afraid of us since they're bigger than normal bunnies - I don't know.

It sounds like your buck is fairly well socialized and he's trying to reach out to you to bond with you....

You lucky person!

Peg

I think so too, Peg! He sounds just adorable!

Bo will bump me with his nose to get grooms but he does it as a kiss too.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I think so too, Peg! He sounds just adorable!

Bo will bump me with his nose to get grooms but he does it as a kiss too.
Ah - I didn't think of it as a kiss 'cause Tiny actually gave me kisses...but yes, that makes perfect sense too...

Peg

I was just scratching Bo's back while he was on me. he nose bumped my neck! LOL!

Bo will NOT kiss my skin. he will kiss my clothing.... but skin - NO!

Tony kisses.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I was just scratching Bo's back while he was on me. he nose bumped my neck! LOL!

Bo will NOT kiss my skin. he will kiss my clothing.... but skin - NO!

Tony kisses.
Tiny once spent about 10 minutes kissing the trash can while Miss Bea and I were both going "Ewwww...".

He then turned around and started kissing me on the leg.....and I'd move it and he'd move and start kissing it again...

I told Miss Bea to get him to groom her but she was still going, "Ewww...".

I think Tiny enjoyed hassling me that day.

Peg

LOL! How funny! Our cat likes the mini-blinds......

Bo will kiss my shoulder (on my shirt) for a long time if I get "the spot".... and I end up with a soggy spot LOL!

I love that soggy spot.... if it were water I'd likely dry it or change shirts... bunny kisses soggy spot - I wear it proudly!!!

Nosebumps = Hi!; i want your attention now!; please pet me/I demand that you pet me; I'm comin' through!; MOVE!; I want snacks; Lookit me!! and....

whatever other commands and friendly greetings your bun feels like giving you. :D

Back