A Few Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston

Reaction score
[align=center]Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to adopt a Netherland Dwarf soon, possibly a Holland Lop instead. However, I have a few questions I haven't quite found the answer to in my endless hours of searching on the internet.

How much do the smaller breeds cost annually? Holland Lops, Netherland Dwarfs, ans so on. I'm only asking based on the necessary costs and not all the goodies that they get. I know there can always be an emergency, which I'm prepared for, but I'd like a rough estimate of the cost.

I'm in the process of building a bunny condo. I really have no clue what I'm going to do when I travel. Every Winter I go up to see family, and I've decided I'm going to bring my bun with me. There is absolutely no way this thing is going to fit in the car along with our luggage. Both changing cages and traveling is stressful for them, so a combination of both might kill the poor bun. What do you all do when traveling? Back-up cage?

I'm really hoping to get a semi-mellow bunny that will tolerate my petting him and wont run away from me as I see with some buns. I really would love to get my bunny early in life, but I hear you can only tell it's personality later. Is is worth having it early in life rather than buying an old one, knowing it's a risk it might be an aggressive bunny?

Be honest with me, is the stench bad? I previously had a hamster and the smell was awful even with the weekly cleaning.

Are buck's or doe's the more mellow/loving type? Or does it just depend on the bun?

How fast can a small rabbit go through a 50lb bag of hay or pellets? I know it varies between the two, so you can give different amount of time on both.

I would really appreciate the help, since other bunny website weren't really helpful. Thanks so much everyone!

~Preston[/align]

Good for you for doing your research before getting a bunny!!

As far as costs for feed and hay, it's going to vary greatly. My feed is $18/50lbs. A smaller breed is going to eat about 1/4 a day. You'll need to do the math on that. LOL

Again, hay depends on where you get it (from a farm, pet store, etc). A tiny bun is only going to eat a small bit every day.

Can't help on the traveling part. Because of the horses and other animals, someone pretty much is always here. How long will you be going? For the entire winter, or just for a few weeks? That will probably play a large part in deciding just how to accommodate the buns needs and yours.

I have never owned a Netherland or a Holland. However, I hear that the Netherlands, as a whole, can be a bit flighty. Have you considered a Polish? They are generally VERY laid back. My buck is much more cuddly than my doe, but both can be held most of the day without squirming.

I can't even tell my Polish buck is in the house. When I had my big French Lop doe in here, you could smell it ONLY if I was lazy and skipped cleaning her pen when it needed it.

Hope that was some help to you, and I'm sure others will chime in here. :)

[align=center]Thank you, that helps a lot. I've heard Netherlands can be the skittish type, but from what I understand it's mostly a stereotype. From the many many Netherland owners I've spoken to, they can say nothing but good about them. People say all lops are laid back, but I've heard about more than one skittish lop.

I appreciate the suggestion, and I'm doing a little research on the Polish. Only thing is, I can't find many Polish breeders near me. Why are Netherlands so much more popular than Polish? Is it because they're smaller, or are there reasons behind this? I haven't seen many Polish owners, but would love for one from the forum to educate me on them. Are they about the same size as Netherlands? Are they dwarfs are not? And are they the type that would be happy to cuddle up with you and watch TV?

Edit: I would only be traveling for about three to seven days. However, there's nobody that I know that knows anything about taking care of rabbits, and I'm not even considering boarding them. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

~Preston[/align]

Great that you are doing your research!

I am a fan of the small breeds so I looked into all of these but decided on a Lionhead. Agnes weighs about 3lbs.

Each rabbit is so unique. You can't really guarantee anything as far as personality. I have heard that the smaller breeds tend to me more skittish than the big breeds. Agnes has a fabulous personality. I got her as a baby. She has never been skittish. She follows me around, sits on my lap, loves to be held and petted. She is the bomb :) but I will say second in line for me was a Holland Lop. I have heard they also have great personalities.

As far as getting a baby or adult. Pros and cons to both. There are aLOT of rescue buns out there that need homes. Getting a bun at like a year old can be good because they will most likely already be fixed (a must to look into for temperament and health control) and past the notorious teenage years they go through during sexual maturity. But then again, if the bun has been mistreated or something, it can take a lot of time and patience to get them to trust you.

A baby you can handle from the beginning and do things to more secure the possibility of a friendly bun. Still no guarantee :) but a good chance.

Costs will depend on where you buy supplies. If you find a local farm and feed store things will be tremendously less expensive than a pet store. I pay $5 for a gigantic bag of Timothy hay and less than .60 cents a pound for pellets. She eats about 1/3 cup of pellets a day. So it is not very much cost at all.

If you are only needing a temp cage for a week or so you could look into a smaller temp cage OR xpens walls that you could fold up for transport. Or, do you have any pet sitters in your area? I have a teenage gal in my neighborhood that will come and take care of Agnes here at our home when we are gone.

As far as the smell.....rabbits themselves do not smell. But I'm gonna be honest...their pee does. I clean out Agnes litterbox (yes litter training makes things way easier) twice a day, sometimes more. But, I am a clean freak so maybe I'm extreme. But I don't want my house to smell of rabbit pee. So because I am so on top of it, I don't smell her. But if I even went one day without cleaning it, I would smell her. She's aLOT of work but worth it because I love her with all my heart. She makes me laugh everyday.

I think rabbits make excellent pets. But you do get out of them what you put into them. If you just shove a bun into a tiny cage 24/7 and never talk to or pet or spend time with them or clean up then you may have an aloof bunny who doesn't bond with you and smells. But if you spend time everyday with the bunny, clean up after them, patience and calmness with bunny, you end up with a funny, affectionate and amazing animal :)

Good luck. Let us know what youmdecide!

Netherlands can have more teeth malocclusion problems, with their small jaws.

I wouldn't get a rabbit until you figure out about what to do when you're gone. Could you take the rabbit along? Most don't like traveling all that much, but driving most of the day would be fine with a couple breaks for leg stretching inside the car. Thus requires litter training first.

The only way to tell for sure about a rabbit's personality is to get one that's already neutered. The hormonal months can be bad & start a few months before your vet is willing to do the surgery. Though they almost always go back to the pre-hormonal personality after the operation & recovery period.

The actual cost of getting a rabbit varies a lot. You can find some free and it can go up to a couple hundred dollars. Pets are usually less than $50 depending on where you go.
Yearly upkeep costs really depend on what you buy and where you get it. For example, a bale of hay costs me $10 and is about 60 pounds (this is a tad on the expensive side of bales too), while a 5 pound bag of hay costs about the same. A bale will last me around 2 months with 7 rabbits, a bag would not last a week. With 1 rabbit, you would use 1-2 bales a year, so can save a ton by buying bales of hay. Litter also varies, I recommend wood pellets and they costs about $5 for a 40 pound bag, you would need make 2-4 per year depending on how much you need. If you use fleece or towels in the cage, you just need to buy a few of those and then wash them, so that can maybe be $20 or less to buy and they should last years. Pellets are one thing I would not really buy in bulk unless you will use them. A dwarf breed will only need about 1/4 cup per day, so a 50 pound bag will go bad before you use it all. Buy 5 or 10 pound bags of high quality pellets. Veggies can add up, but with only one it should still not be too much, maybe $3-5 per week. So for a rough total, you maybe spend about $100 a year not including veggies, but if you buy pet store hay and more expensive litter it will be more.

Rabbits can be used to travel. I do agility with my rabbits and they adjust well to daily events. While over night trips can be more stressful, they do get used to it and adapt well. I use pens (like an x-pen) as it is easy to fold down and doesn't take up too much space. You should have a trap or something water proof underneath and blankets too. You also need to take a litter box (if the rabbit uses one), food and water dishes, food, hay, toys etc.

You can kind of tell personality at a younger age. A rabbit who comes up to you for attention will be a more social rabbit. A rabbit who hangs back, but doesn't run away will take some time to win over, but they can be social too if given a chance. A rabbit who runs off will need more work and might not be really social, but some can be. Try to find a rabbit that comes up to you for attention before you buy.
Rabbits may get aggressive around 4-6 months old due to hormones. Getting the rabbit spayed or neutered can help. Most rabbits are not aggressive to the point where they attack you for no reason. Rabbits may nip if annoyed, scared or in pain.

Intact rabbits do tend to smell more than altered rabbits, so getting the rabbit neutered does help. Using a good litter (like wood pellets) also helps a lot. Cleaning really well is also very helpful, white vinegar is great for cleaning.

[align=center]Wow, so much useful information. Thank you so much. Still open for any help that can be given if there's anyone else that would like to share.

Depending on who's house I'm going to that year, every Winter the trip will take either six hours or eleven hours. I would hate to stress out the poor bun. Unfortunately, I'm not open to pet sitting as I'm very particular with my pets. I have the mindset that if you want something done right, you must do it yourself.

~Preston[/align]

I think you will be able to work something out for your week away each winter. In other words, I wouldn't make it a deal breaker to not get a rabbit. You will probably learn on the first trip if your rabbit will tolerate traveling or not. If the bun is so stressed beyond belief and you are very particular with your pets as you say and want to do the right thing, you may realize pet sitting is the way to go. OR if your bun seems to handle traveling okay, than you can make it routine that he/she goes with. I think once you have the bun and bond and know their personality, you will do the right thing either way :)

Elliot is the sweetest, cutest, and friendliest bunny I have ever met.:hearts:

I have 3 mini lops and they are all so laid out, i have heard that netherlands are a lot hyper and active compared to most other breeds. My male is more affectionate than my females and they have all been handled the same, but that may just be coincidence that my male is more cuddly. I have 5 bunnies and a 10kg bag of food lasts about 2 months or just under. Bunnies aren't that costly compared to dogs, but if you wanna spoil them then they will be! When i travel with my bunnies i put them in a carrier with their favourite toy and blanket, the first time i brought my bunnies in the car they were really scared, but now they are used to it and aren't that scared at all. I don't think bunnies can die from just getting a little annoyed and scared. Also i use an x-pen with my bunnies, so when we stay over at the family's house and bring the bunny we just bring their x-pens as it folds easily. Usually i never bring my bunnies with me, but i have when i stayed at my aunties farm for 2 weeks. The pee smells bad but only if you leave it and don't clean it, i sometimes forget and then it stinks, lol. But bunnies in themselves are really clean. Good luck with your new bunny :)

[align=center]Does anyone have any suggestions as far as online feed stores that sell reasonable priced but quality feed?

~Preston[/align]

I bought a 50lb $20 bag of feed and a big hay bale $20, I have two buns.. i bought them about a month ago and ive barely done any damage to the hay, i use it for litter too, and I still have about a month or so of feed left. My doe is a mini lop and she's sweet, but does not like to cuddle and can tend to run from me :rollseyes.. my buck is a mini-rex and he has to be the most chill bun ever, loves to cuddle, and doesnt run at all from me!

[align=center]I guess I should rephrase my question. I understand all bunny owners usually have different ranges of expense annually, but was kind of wanting to get a feel for the price range. If you guys are comfortable answering, how much do YOU individually pay for your bun, not including toys and emergency vet visits?

Thanks guys!

~Preston[/align]

Preston wrote:
[align=center]I guess I should rephrase my question. I understand all bunny owners usually have different ranges of expense annually, but was kind of wanting to get a feel for the price range. If you guys are comfortable answering, how much do YOU individually pay for your bun, not including toys and emergency vet visits?

Thanks guys!

~Preston[/align]

Isn't that what people have been answering?lol People have been giving their prices on hay and pellets and then what their bunny eats. I guess maybe some math on your part may be needed to get it down to an exact if that's what you want :) I've never calculated it out that detailed so I don't have that figure for me personally. But Is that what you are looking for? Obviously the size of the rabbit or rabbits AND where you buy your supplies will differ a little for everyone.

agnesthelion wrote:
Preston wrote:

Thanks guys!

~Preston[/align]

Isn't that what people have been answering?lol People have been giving their prices on hay and pellets and then what their bunny eats. I guess maybe some math on your part may be needed to get it down to an exact if that's what you want :) I've never calculated it out that detailed so I don't have that figure for me personally. But Is that what you are looking for? Obviously the size of the rabbit or rabbits AND where you buy your supplies will differ a little for everyone.

[align=center]Sorry, didn't mean to make that sound how it did. I did the math on those who gave me estimates, but I wrote my last reply to those who were telling me it varies depending on the bunny. Sorry for the confusion!

~Preston[/align]

No need to apologize. :) I think there are some good examples given here to at least give you a starting point. You seem to be very detail oriented which is good! But sometimes hard to get that exact because of different variables involved....

Hi Preston, I thought I'd chime in since I have a Netherland Dwarf. Harvey is my first rabbit so I don't have much experiences with different breeds. My sisters had lops (which I didn't care much for). I adopted Harvey as an intact adult. Once he was neutered it made a big difference on his litter habits. So he hardly smells. I have cats and their waste can get nasty.
I get a 10lb bag of pellets and that lasts me a while. So yes a 50lb bag will go bad before you could finish it. I think my bag is $11 and lasts about two months. I get his litter from walmart, it's kind of Carefresh but costs $5 for a smallish bag. I probably buy 1 or 2 of those a month.

As for his personality. He is definitely hyper active. He loves running around like a crazy bun haha. I personally love it when he does that. He did slow down a little once he was neutered, but he loves running and doing binkies. He loves being under foot and "helping" me around the apartment. He's very curious and tends to get into things he shouldn't. Harvey's a pretty confident rabbit; he took to me and my cats and a change of location very quickly (I don't really know his background or how he was raised). He's a licker. Licks me, my clothes, my sheets. He's bossy. He does get startled some times by loud noises and he'll bolt for the nearest cover but other than that he's pretty confident with most things. So I don't know how he relates to other Netherland Dwarfs but I love his little personality. Never a dull moment with Harvey around.

As long as the people you'll be visiting are ok with you bringing the rabbit along, it shouldn't be too bad, even if the trip is a bit stressful. When you arrive you can set things up as much as possible as they are at home. He or she won't miss you when you're gone [& vice versa] if he goes with you. Take along gallons of the water he's used to, as well as all the other stuff.

Good online sites for supplies include amazon, drsfostersmith, & wag. But be aware that many things that are said to be for rabbits are really too small, though maybe that's not true for a dwarf.

As cute as babies are, from now on I will only be getting rabbits over a year old. Most rescues fix them before adopting them out and most rabbit specific rescues have their buns in foster homes so that they get a really good handle on the buns personality to match it up with the right home.

The first year of a buns life is much more expensive compared to their adult years. I'd say between first time purchases, a spay/neuter and all of the normal supplies, you're looking at roughly 800 dollars this year depending on your location. Of course, since a rescue bun has its neutering in It's adoption fee, if you decided to go the rescue route, I'd say you're probably looking at 600 ish.

Binky bunny has an article on "how much does a bunny really cost?" And estimates about 500 a year. I would say that mine are probably between 3 and 4.

As far as travel, an Xpen will be your friend. They fold up pretty thinly.

Latest posts

Back