A few questions!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterbaby05

Reaction score
I have a few questions about my flemish giant Bruce. He is going to the vet on thursday but I have a few questions and I didn't want to make a whole bunch of topics so I will ask them all in one :)

He has flaky ears, bacterial infection?

I was brushing him the other day and by his tail there is a bald spot? I'm not sure why it looks kinda red.

He has had digestive problems in the past and I started using these papaya/ pineapple tablets which I bought off the binky bunny website. I have been giving him them twice a day. Is this okay?

Also; Is it okay to give him benebac weekly for a preventative to G.I stasis? or would that be too much good bacteria in him? He had another bout of gi stasis but I quicky corrected it for it wasn't that bad and he is fine now.

:)

Thankyou, everyone is so helpful here. :)

Where on the ears is it flaky?

Papaya tablets fine.

Benebac is fine; can't really have too much good bacteria.

If there's gas, simethicone should help.

The ears and even the bald spot on the tail could be mites. You can get proper treatment from a rabbit savvy vet. It should not be too expenive to treat, but usually needs 2-3 doses about 10-14 days apart. The vet should be able to take a skin scraping or sample to look at under a microscope to see if they are mites.
If they aren't mites, then the ears could be dry skin and the tail could be that he has pulled the fur off somehow (it's hard to say without seeing it). Dry skin may require a change in diet or supplements, so ask the vet what would be good.

I don't really think that the papaya or pineapple tablets help much. They won't hurt, but I don't feel they are necessary.

Could be mites on poor Bruce. Flaky skin outside the ear and hair loss, especially near the tail, would lead me to call the Vet to see what's up. Definitely ask for a skin scrape just so the Vet can idenitify.

I give my Tribe papaya treats instead of tablets when they are molting heavily. Plus with the hay, I haven't had any issues with hair blockage.

And that question regarding the benebac weekly, that would be on the list of questions for the Vet. I think since Bruce does have a tendency to get GI statis, giving benebac weekly could help keep that healthy belly bacteria.

Please let us know how it goes. BTW, got my first flemish this past Saturday. He's so sweet.

K

The bald spot near his tail sounds like it could be ringworm. Need to take him to the vet, and don't be bashful--you can call and ask questions, you don't have to be in a room with your vet. If I'm unsure, I call and ask questions. May take a couple hours for them to get back to you, but peace of mind is priceless.

Karen that is great news that you got a flemish!! I really think they are one of the sweetest breeds of rabbits!! :)

Bruce went to the vet today, and she did find a mite on him. So she injected him with ivermectin and then I have to inject him with it every 2 weeks, which will be two times. I don't think my other rabbits have it, but I will watch closely. Any suggestions how I can clean the carpet in the bunny room? I am very worried about this matter.

Edit: Also what should I use to clean all the bunnies cages? I really want to thourougly clean them. I usually use natures miracle to spray out there cages. Is this enough?

hunterbaby05 wrote:
Karen that is great news that you got a flemish!! I really think they are one of the sweetest breeds of rabbits!! :)

Bruce went to the vet today, and she did find a mite on him. So she injected him with ivermectin and then I have to inject him with it every 2 weeks, which will be two times. I don't think my other rabbits have it, but I will watch closely. Any suggestions how I can clean the carpet in the bunny room? I am very worried about this matter.

Edit: Also what should I use to clean all the bunnies cages? I really want to thourougly clean them. I usually use natures miracle to spray out there cages. Is this enough?

He's already showing what a sweet Gentle Giant he can be. It's been such a blast and just so different than my little guys.

Here's some info I found. http://exoticpets.about.com/od/rabbitcare/qt/cagecleaning.htm

Bleach seems good to disinfect.

Hoping Bruce is feeling better and gets rid of those nasty bugs.

K

I use bleach to disinfect all my cages, bottles, crocks, etc. The cages get disinfected once a month, the rest every week. I also have Lysol disinfectant wipes that I use on the grooming tables, hands, etc. (very paranoid about things, now that we're taking so many to the shows). With that being said, we have our first case of ear mites. No clue on how he got them, and thankfully nobody else has signs. We caught it very early (just a teeny tiny amount of crust in the one ear), so hopefully we won't have any more problems.

For the carpet, you're going to need something that will kill the mites and eggs. Because mine are in the barn, we just moved all the bunny cages and sprayed it with bleach/water and let it air dry (thankfully we have cement floors!).

Latest posts

Back