A Few Questions Regarding Curly

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokankai

Reaction score
Today I took the biddies out to run in the rabbit room and it appears that Curly is sneezing every so often and had some yellow goop in the fur around his eyes. What could this be and does it require medical attention?

I also noticed that he eats weird. Instead of taking the pellets in his mouth and chewing them, he takes one at a time and uses his incisors to chew by pushing the pellet against the floor. Could this be because they're a month old and still learning how to eat pellets or could it be a dental issue?

this bun is very young,is it weaned??-i believe he is still developing eating habits however health issues don,t take long to develope,--the gewy eye could be a concern-,,watch his behavior and poop box closely,and follow a good diet for a young bun--ie.water,grasses,-some alfalfa,vegy,s---sincerely james waller

He's not weaned yet as he's only 4 weeks old, so no veggies. However he's very good at eating his hay and pellets. He's VERY active and poops normally.

That is very strange. Are you able to get a look inside his mouth? You might want to make sure he has normal back molars. The eyes could be related but probably aren't. Molar-related eye issues usually lead to clear watery discharge from the eyes, not yellow. He could have an eye infection that could be easily treated.

I can see his incisors, which are normal, but not his molars. His mouth is still so tiny, is there an easy way to take a look?

Once mama has her babies I'm taking everyone up to the shelter to be checked out by the vet. Today there's no goop, and I'm wondering if it's because the hair around his eye kind of curled into his eyes until a few days ago.

The only way I can think to see the molars is to try to hold his mouth open if he'll let you. Otherwise, vets will use a tool like a speculum to look in the mouth.

Ok, I saw him chewing normally this evening...maybe he was still figuring out how to eat properly? haha.

There was still a little crust in the fur that forms a corner in his eye. However, he's not teary, rattly, or have a runny nose. I also haven't heard anyone sneeze today.

That sounds good, since his genetic makeup is a bit "different" as is: he has a very rare coat type, right? I am concerned that he may not have "won the genetic lottery" per se, ie he was the result of some unregulated breeding and some less common and often less desirable genes may be present in his makeup. Some of the less common genes are cool, like the Astrex coat, but some are not. This common if breeding occurs between related individuals, which happens a lot if a person isn't planning the breeding properly.

Yup, that's exactly what I thought when I saw his fur coming in crazy. I've been looking out for deformities, lowered immunity, behavioral or neurological abnormalities but so far I haven't seen anything besides the coat. Hopefully that's it, fingers crossed!

Ok, as an update, I think everyone is better. I haven't seen anymore yellow goop and they all just have a couple crusties in the corners of their eyes. No sneezes, runny eyes/noses, rales, etc. Do you think I should still take everyone in or are they ok? Appetite, activity level, and poop is all normal.

I had my bunnies checked over at 8 weeks. But to be perfectly honest, I would have Curly checked right away. It could be just allergies, but it could be laying dormant.

Better safe than sorry.

K:)

Alrighty, I'll just bring everyone to the shelter when I go. Ebony had her babies this afternoon (3 white, 2 blue tort, 1 blue, 1 black.....) and I'll be dropping them off at the shelter tomorrow so I'll just take everyone in to be checked out.

hokankai wrote:
When do rabbits get their first vet visit?
I guess it depends. At the latest, I'd think at 5 months, when you're wanting to set up a neutering appointment. Of course, before that if anything seems wrong.

LakeCondo wrote:
hokankai wrote:
When do rabbits get their first vet visit?
I guess it depends. At the latest, I'd think at 5 months, when you're wanting to set up a neutering appointment. Of course, before that if anything seems wrong.
Some wait, but I see things differently. Dr. Joe saw mine as real youngins and was able to see the change by 4-1/2 months when neutered. Start the time line.

But to each his own.

K:)

Yeah I'll be moving anyway so this won't be his/her actual vet. I don't really want to risk them getting something FROM the shelter vet either :/

We've never had a baby bunny... But with all of our animals we try to get them in to see Dr. L, within days of them coming home... If not before they come home...I think it's good in general to have a base line well check up, before any sickness may occur...
But as I've said we didn't get cookie as a baby, but he was seen by our vet within 4/5 days... And our rescue pup was seen and neutered by dr.L before we even brought him home, for the first time... Anyway just my 2cents, things maybe different with babies...

Glad he seems to be feeling better, btw :)

Latest posts

Back