A few bonding questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxMontanaxX

Reaction score
My rabbits were fixed on Feb 22. When can I start bonding sessions? I've read two weeks, and I've read three weeks.So which would be better?

When they are bonded, how should I feed them? Give them their pellets togther in one bowl or in seperate bowls? How can I be sure they are getting the right amount and not one eating the other's.

Should I give them both their own litterbox or will they be able to use the same one?

Also, I read that you need to give your rabbits time apart. How long and how often?

Awesome! Bonding can be so fun, and for me, it was a great way for me to get closer to them.

I waited 4 weeks for Bruno, just to make sure his hormones were at a good level. Even then, it took him another week and a bit to cool down completely. You can start to introduce them very slowly with aggression being nipped in the bud as soon as it occurs just to get them to know each other. I use a laundry basket for this, I put them in for half hour or so. I've never had any problems with aggression, and it really helps them get to know each other! Then I move to more open areas, increasing the size of the area as they get better with each other. I start with a small space, then a 3 x 4 blanket, then a room.

I'm facing this problem with my guys, since Poppy is pretty laid backabout food and is a slow eater butBruno LOVES food and will gobble it up. I separate them for pellets, and wait until Poppy's done eating then let Bruno back in the cage. This works the best for me, since Bruno usually ends up eating half of Poppy's pelletsalong with his if I don't seperate them!

I personally don't, but they have a very large cage so they can get away from each other if they want to or not. If one is going out forplaytime or couch time, both go. I open someone's cage every time I'm in the room, and usually Poppy stays in the cage while Bruno comes out. I don't think it's necessary, my guys rather be together than being apart. I give them the option with their lage cage and play time, and they choose to stay together.. so I don't think time apart is necessary, atleast not in my case.

**Edited to add, forgot about the litterbox! My guys share a litterbox and have no problems with it :).

My rabbits were both fixed when I got them so I cannot exactly tell you how long before starting bonding.

As for feeding, I feed mine in a big bowl. When they first became bonded, I fed them in two seperate bowls but then discovered that they would rather eat together and take turns sticking their heads in. So then I got them a BIG bowl. BIG. Buddy's head is huge so I got it so they could both stick their heads in.

Buddy and Roxie have one big litterbox. We could not find one big enough for them so we got them a little storage container.

I do not give Buddy and Roxie time apart but if they want it, they can go seperate ways. Normally in the morning they run off together and in the daytime Roxie is in a tree and Buddy is in a bush. Then later in the day I see them laying together and hopping together.

I suggest giving them places where they can seperate from eachother if they WANT. I wouldn't reccomend forcing them away from eachother.

It really depends on the rabbits. Each is different. You will have to adjust everything when they do bond for a couple of weeks.

Good luck with the bonding!

Megan! :biggrin2:

you should definetly seperate them for at least 1-2 weeks by week 2 you can give bonding a try.

A tip to everyone whose trying to bond rabbits is to stick them in a small box/laundry basket anything with a plastic base where they would slide around. put the box in your car and go for a drive...the more turns you make the better the result for some reason rabbits bond really well like that.. my vet suggested this tip and it has worked on many occasions the plastic base causes the rabbits to slide around which they will hate..

Latest posts

Back