A few (~3-4) small, deformed poops, any cause for concern?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeddyTruly

Reaction score
Hello! My 11 month old rabbit, Teddy, dropped a few small and deformed feces, it seemed to be between 7-9pm last night est (it's 10am now). I googled it and it said that was a warning sign for stasis, a gut blockage, or he could be not getting enough water. I gave him some fresh water, even though I had changed it a few hours prior. I also have him some wet romaine lettuce. He ate it up, and his appetite is still doing well today, but he pooped a few more that were small and deformed, although had the look and texture of normal poop. He also dropped some round, normal ones as well. Should I be worried about a gut blockage? I've bunny proofed my room, and he has not been let out without my supervision, so I don't think he could've eaten anything he shouldn't have. Though I did clean out my closet yesterday, and put everything in my room while he was free roaming, maybe he ate something then? The last time he ate anything bad that I know of was a few weeks ago when he ate a small amount of rubber from my younger sibblings' ipad. I might just be overreacting, in fact I probably am, as he is acting and eating perfectly fine, but I just wanted to check. Thanks to all!

Hey,
Not a bunny expert, but my rabbit has some weird poops often. It’ll just be a few of them and she always is fine. It happens like a couple times a week with her, so I guess she’s just weird like that. We asked the vet about it, and they said if she’s eating fine and acting normal then to not worry about it.

It is important to understand the distinctions and meanings between a lot of scary medical conditions rabbit owners read about, as it helps you discern what to look for and what to do. In short, in the context of several normal poops, a few smaller, deformed poos typically doesn't warrant concern.

A blockage is a literally obstruction in your rabbit's GI which prevents stuff from moving through. It leads to bloat, which is a very serious condition that requires veterinary attention. If your rabbit is continually and actively pooping across a span of many hours, you can be generally confident there is not a full blockage since clearly there is stuff moving through your rabbit over time. In addition, bloat is a very painful condition so you are likely to notice significant signs of pain/discomfort in a rabbit experiencing the build-up accompanied with being fully obstructed. To read more about blockage and bloat, see here: Acute gastrointestinal dilation - WabbitWiki

Stasis is the state when a rabbit's GI system has stopped moving. You can read more about it here: Gastrointestinal stasis - WabbitWiki

Considering your rabbit is pooping (majority) fine, seems to have an appetite based on what you outline, and there are no comments about him being lethargic, I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point over a few deformed poos.

To ensure you are feeding an appropriate diet for your rabbit, please see here: Feeding

Thank you so much for responding. I am pretty paranoid about him wheeze. He is as active as ever, and has been happily eating hay. I checked the link, it was helpful, I had been feeding him more pellets (like 15-20% of his diet), then hay fresh greens, I will be sure to slowly change that. He does not get any pellet/manufactured treats, I give him lettuce or perhaps a raspberry (each 3-4 days) as a treat.

(removed) oops! I misread you saying no pellet treats as no pellets. Disregard previous comment content if you saw it!

I'm glad the link was helpful in informing the appropriateness of your rabbir's diet.

Back