A fan for inside the bunny hutch/cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhoffman

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a question for you all. My rabbit is about to kindle any day now, and I already have homes for the kits once they are ready. One of the girls who is going to be taking one of the bunnies home has asked me a question and I am unsure of what to tell her.

She said that one of their family friends' rabbits died due to the heat. So, she emailed me today and asked if it would be okay to have a fan on the hutch/cage that she will be using. The bunny will be housed inside.

Personally I do not use a fan. My rabbits are mostly outdoors (with the exception of one right now). I have their hutch situated in the shade (bbut out of the wind). On hot days, I will put a frozen bottle of water in their hutches for them to lay by to cool off.

I guess the question is.. would you use a fan for your hutch/cage... why or why not?

I want to be able to give the girl a good answer.

Thanks
Brianne

If the bun is housed inside.. why does she need a fan?

I would think a fan would be a good idea. I know that they shouldnt be blowing directly on the rabbit or there should be space for the bunny to get out of direct contact if he/she wants.

I'm not too sure thouhg, all of my buns are housed inside and no fan needed.

I am not sure.. maybe they dont have a/c or something. I havent asked her why. I think she is more concerned about this because her friends rabbit died recently. I will let her know wat you said.

I don't have a/c in my bedroom where my bunny lives, so when it's hot out I turn on a fan. It's small but I point it at a corner in his cage that is tiled. He loves laying on the cool tiles in front of the fan!

Fans are a must for our rabbits because they're outdoors. Most of our fans are not as wide as the cage so the rabbit can either move to the front or back to get out of the wind. Actually, when it's warm I see them all huddled up rightin front of the fan!

I used fans in my barn when my rabbits were kept there. I would just tell her to keep some frozen water bottles in her freezer and when the rabbits look hot to give them one. You can have a fan on the cage though. Just make sure that the rabbit can get away from the fan.

Back