A different litter question that the other posted...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-Family-O

Reaction score
I was wondering if using shredded paper would be ok to use for litter?

I only ask because we have been shredding a ton of papers that have needed it for awhile. We have a few bags of shredded papers now, and it made me wonder if it would be ok for their litter box.

It's not a big deal if not, but I like to reuse stuff, and if I could use it, that would be great!

Thank you so much!!

I don't know how much it would absorb but would be ok. It also works as a toy!

You can actually turn shredded paper into paper pulp litter. Here's a link with the recipe.
http://lifehacker.com/5311810/make-your-own-kitty-litter-at-almost-no-cost

If you rinse the paper in a vinegar solution (25% vinegar) it should take out more of the ink than just warm water. Also, you don't need to spread it out over a screen. Put the wet pulp into a pillow case, zip shut and safety pin it, and put it to tumble at fluff (no head) or delicate (low heat) for 20 minutes. Just don't use heat, you don't want to char the paper or catch it on fire.

Also be careful that they don't eat it. I gave Tony a bag of strips of shredded paper once to play in, and he ate it like hay instead of playing in it! Not good for the digestion!

Awesome! Thank you :)

I didn't even know you could use it as a toy, that should be interesting to watch lol

bengal77 wrote:
You can actually turn shredded paper into paper pulp litter. Here's a link with the recipe.
http://lifehacker.com/5311810/make-your-own-kitty-litter-at-almost-no-cost

If you rinse the paper in a vinegar solution (25% vinegar) it should take out more of the ink than just warm water. Also, you don't need to spread it out over a screen. Put the wet pulp into a pillow case, zip shut and safety pin it, and put it to tumble at fluff (no head) or delicate (low heat) for 20 minutes. Just don't use heat, you don't want to char the paper or catch it on fire.
This is neat! I'm going to try it :) Thank you so much

Back