A Companion for Sherman or Not?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
Okay, I'm finally putting this question tothe board. I keep going back and forth on the issue and myhusband is leaning to the "no" side of things.

The question is this--Should we get Sherman a companionbun? I've been reading about some of the issues that would beinherent in bonding him to another at this late date and I'm wonderingif the challenges would outweigh the benefits ... or evenbetter,vice versa.

I've got to admit too that there's a selfish element to this inthat I just love Sherman so that I'm thinking that two buns would betwice the fun! :)

I think that I've told you all enough info about Sherman in mypast posts that you know his personality well enough to give some inputon this.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to your opinions! :dude:

Hi BunnyMommy,

I'm not going to say yay or nay.

It could impact your relationship with Sherman as it is now, however,you might really enjoy watching the two of them together. He seems setin his ways, so I'd have him pick out His Queen if that's the route youtake.

Good luck deciding this one! If you're like me, you'll contemplate it every month or two.

-Carolyn

I personally think-yes. I think if Sherman wereallowed to make the choice it could definitely be a good thing allaround. Your love and devotion to Sherman shines through in every post.So I know you have the love and patience to help the new bunn feel morethan welcome and Sherman all the love and support he would need. That'sjust my opinion. You both are awesome bunny parents.

Tina

We've had bonded bunnies for years, but never hada house bunny until recently. Now, due to unforeseencircumstances, we have three unbonded housebunnies, if youwill. As such, none of those get our fullattention. A pair of house bunnies might, but having writtenthat...

I think I would advise, think on it some more! You arerelatively new to rabbit fancying, and have had a rocky startwith Sherman's health and all. You seem to be enjoying himright now, and he, you. "If it's not broke[sic], don't fixit!" and "swim downstream with the current," a bit.Enjoy! There is still ample time to get Sherman a partner andmaybe something will happen to "point" you in the right directionregarding thisdilemma. Sometimes events transpirethat leave no question as to what we should do.

IMHO

Buck

As Buck said, are you sure you want 2? If you do,then try it. Take it slowly, go to a shelter and let Sherman pick out afriend. Preferably a female around or older thena year. Sofar, I've had problems with all rabbits fighting, male or female, undera year of age. An older female, not old, just older than ababy,will have her hormones sorted out and less likely tofight with your Sherman. But as I said, if you are going to getanother, let Sherman decide by introducing them to each other at theshelter if you can!

If you have the time yes.

I have two rabbits that I take care of. One is The Duke Flospy andthe one no of you know about is Fluffy. Fluffy is not my rabbit, mysister will drop him off at my house when she goes on really longtrips. They are both neuterd and get along fine. They love each otherscompany. Since I have two rabbits most of the time Flopsy is neverlonely because when I'm not home Fluffy is.

Hope that this helps;) and sorry they are probly a lot of grammer and spelling errors:? becuase I have to do something :X

Hi, The really important issue is the amount oftime you spend with Sherman. If you work and are gone most of the day,another rabbit might be good. However, Sherman may resent havinganother rabbit in the house. I have bonded buns....pairs, quads.... and3 that want to be alone. A bun that is alone is more affectionate andinteracts more with its owner. The choice is yours. Charlotte

Good point dootsmom. I noticed a humungous changein Mocha and Spice's behaviours with me when they were separated.Before they would have much rather bond with each other and havenothing to do with me unless I had treats. Now that they are separated,they are much friendlier. They come running to the doors when I openthem, they want to be pet, they run to the wire in their runs if I'mnear hoping for attention. It's hard giving them a lot of individualattention when I have so much school work and studying already, but Imanage to split the time I have left with each of them. You just needto think long and hard about what you feel Sherman wants.

Laura, Moch, & Spice

hmmmm. The clever way to do this would be to look at the advantages and disadvantages of getting another bunny.

lets see lets see.
Advantages
erm, twice the fun!!
no more lonely sherman

Disadvantages
Double the trouble
Sherman might feel left out because of all the love your giving the new bunny

Im sure theres more but i have to go.Ill continue later!!
bye

It is hard to not tell you what to do. I have tworabbits and I find to be a struggle as well as a blessing, but it isn'tfor everyone. With one rabbit you have him/her all to yourself and visaversa. With two they tend to distance themselves from you because theyhave each other, but it can be such fun to watch them interact.

I think the best way is toadd to Loz nEbony's advantages anddisadvantages.

Advantages:

You won't need to be with his highness 24/7

[align=left]It is so cute to watch them groom each other[/align]

[align=left]Two Royals to serve (or should this be a disadvantage?;))[/align]

[align=left]Disadvantages:[/align]

[align=left]They somehow manage to get into things that one bunny couldn't[/align]

[align=left]There could be a war over land[/align]

[align=left]He won't need you as much, he'll have a friend[/align]

[align=left]Good Luck with your decision![/align]

[align=left]Lissa, BlueBelle, and CupCake[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

i dont have any sort of well educated guesses oranswers for you. im sorry. i have a personal belief that as long as ananimal isnt extreamly vicious or anything that for the most part acompanion of the same species is a good idea. how would you feel livingwith an alien family? wouldnt it be nice to have one other humanaround, even though you love your alien family?

go with your heart and do what you think is best. good luck with your decision dear and keep us informed! :)

sorry, forgot to put this with my first post.Sherman does seem to have that territorial attitude. so if you did getaanother rabbit you may want to get a more docile rabbit that doesntmind not being king of the house.

Thank you so much, everyone, for yourinput on this thread. Each and every opinion is valuable tome.

I think, however, at this time that Sherman's bad behavior ofthis week has determined that a second bun is not going to be a goodthing for us at this time. :( The way things looknow, if we were to bring in another bunny it would be a battlefieldaround here.

Thanks again. Will consider all of your points when we revisit this issue in the future.

Latest posts

Back