A Celebration of the Good Life

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnicula

Reaction score
Bunnicula's Castle, S.Central, Pennsylvania, USA

It's gonna be a big weekend here at "Bunnicula's Castle"!

Our eldest kitty (Louise) is hosting a"Celebration of the Good Life".

It was 10 years ago this month that she came to live with us. Sheand Sunkist (RIP) came to us after living atthe Humane League for close to 2 years. They were part of an abuse case that the accused party continued to appeal time after time...and none of the 60+ cats could find new forever homes until the legal battle was finally settled.

At the time, I was a volunteer at the League...and I spent endless hours with all those felines. Many were ill. Some were feral...even violently aggressive. Once the case was settled, Gary & I KNEW we'd adopt one. I picked Sunkist out one December evening and he joined our household (he then made it 2 humans, 6 cats, no bunnies yet at that point).

After the rush of the holidays when many of the cats had been adopted and many others euthanized due to illness or aggression issues...4 remained.

One January evening the kennel tech told me that they were going to be euthanized the following day...and "did I want another one?" How could I say no? (Heck, I would have saved them all...at that point in life I, though, I thought we were crazy for having 6 cats!)

I sat in the room on the floor with the 4 of them around me. I cried and cried as I tried to decide who would be the right fit for our household. (Rascal would NOT get along with just anybody.) So I chose the naughty girl who always escaped from her cage...it felt a bit like the movie Sophie's Choice, knowing that the other 3 were not going to be alive the next day.

Well, she was the absolute, right choice! She fit right in...the easiest new animal introduction I have ever done. And she's been a delight every day since.

In recent years (she's at least 16...but probably closer to 20), she's developed thyroid disease and some renal function issues. She continues to lose weight (she is well under 6 pounds now)...and in the past few months she's had days where I was certain we were looking at the end. In fact, I expected her to cross the bridge 2 Christmases ago.

But she keeps going strong...she wakes me up at 4:30 every morning for breakfast, she plays chase with the laser light, she will not allow us to SIT to eat a bowl of cereal without being accosted (hehe), she meows LOUDLY when she wants attention...and purrs even louder when she's showing affection. She is the matriarch of our clan, and I know that her time with us is short at best.

I told her back in November that if she could make it through the holidays and into 2008, we'd celebrate her decade of living well with a "canned food" party (her fave food). I told her everyone in the household would eat canned food in celebration of her lust for life. (No, I do NOT plan to eat Fancy Feast...perhaps a can of soup...and the bunnies will have their first pumpkin fest.)

Sorry this is such a long, long post...

But I just HAD to share how EXCITED I am that she made it this far. Her will to live has made me more and more appreciative of how precious every, single second of life with our loved ones is!

So on Saturday, January 5...if you've got "something yummy" in your pantry for you and your special friends...please join us in a Celebration of the Good Life that we share with our furry creatures. As you and your special companions nosh on something delish, think of us celebrating here (as we will think of all of you). And give each of your kitties, bunnies, ratties, piggies, and other family members a special snuggle from the crew here at Bunnicula's Castle!

Mach es gut!

~Your Friends at Bunnicula's Castle (Bunnies: Gingivere, Emmaline, Pipkin, & Captain Snow. Kitties: LOUISE, Rascal, Archie, Tucker, Nellie, Angel, Koko, Yum Yum, Halupki, & Nora. Humans: Mary Ellen & Gary.)

We will join you. We were going to celebrate here with Wyatt coming home from his neuter and this is a great thing to add to our list.

We'll join ya, too! There should be a canned feast day every year! :D

A gigantic catnip tea toast to Louise and to her human family. It's truly a trubute to your excellent care that she has lived and thrived for all these years.

We will be celebrating with you tomorrow!

Ann, Greg, Dr. Melody Frankenbunny and Ali. The feline herd - Echo, Lacey, Charlotte, Possum, Harry, Neko, Mallory, Goblin, Etcetera, Jerri Harriet, Oscar, Nutmeg, Mickey, Roscoe, Sherman, Selena.

Beautiful story, and we here will also celebrate!

Tuna to Louise!

hoo1.jpg

Wow! Louise certainly knows how to throw a par-tay! All of her kitty and bunny friends are hoping we do this every Saturday. Thought I'd share some of the 100+ photos I took of the festivities.

I made a special trip out to Costco to buy a bulk package of "solid white" tuna (non of that "chunk light" stuff for our persnickety felines).

Louise directing the opening of the tuna:

Louises10yearparty010.jpg

Then taking it upon herself to figure out how to open the can (I was just not fast enough):

Louises10yearparty011.jpg

The feeding frenzy:

Louises10yearparty014.jpg

Louises10yearparty018.jpg

Louises10yearparty027.jpg

Louises10yearparty029.jpg

Louise was certain to be the one to "clean up":

Louises10yearparty033.jpg

Our attack cat (Noreaster, aka Nora) was happy to eat on her own right out of the can!

Louises10yearparty044.jpg

Louises10yearparty050.jpg

Louise climbs the gate to the bunny room where she will host the first-ever "Pumpkin Fest" for her lapine pals:

Louises10yearparty058.jpg

Supervising the can-opening process:

Louises10yearparty060.jpg

Louises10yearparty063.jpg

Gingivere gets her first taste of pumpkin:

Louises10yearparty064.jpg

Captain Snow is not easily convinced that this stuff is very good:

Louises10yearparty074.jpg

Louises10yearparty075.jpg

Pipkin & Emmaline (the bunny-hogs), however, are anxious to fling pumpkin all over their cage and themselves!

Louises10yearparty082.jpg

Louises10yearparty081.jpg

Louises10yearparty083.jpg

Louises10yearparty085.jpg

Louises10yearparty092.jpg

I've got to admit that Gary and I had pizza (a treat for us)delivered instead of eating out of a can. But we did drink our soft drinks out of cans...and we raised a toast to our many RO friends...and said a special prayer for Bobby & Ariella who are constantly in our thoughts these days.

I think we will begin an annual celebration of life. It was good to be together and enjoy the things we love best: tasty food and time spent together. Here's hoping the next year is filled with more of both in our household and all of yours!

~Your Friends at Bunnicula's Castle

Congrats on the canned food party! It looks like everyone had a blast!

Dang...just lost my post...hate when that happens...

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry I missed this thread yesterday...so my crew will be a day late, but we will also be raising a toast to Emily and all loved and treasured pets in celebration of the Good Life. Emily's story is just so heartwarming, and she's a gorgeous girl! (As are all of your kitties :))

My Tasha would be akin to your Emily, I think...she's 15 now and came to me over 14 years ago. My sis and her husband were out walking their dog one very cold and wet night, and they found this tiny cat shivering and huddled under a bush in the middle of a field. The Humane Society was closed so they brought her to me for safekeeping until it would open the next morning. My son - who was 9 at the time - took one look at her and pleaded to be able to keep her. So here she is today...over 14 years later...and still going. When she came to me she was soaked to the skin, so thin her ribs were showing, and she was absolutely coated with fleas. But I put a dish of food down for her and she was so beside herself with happiness that she purred non-stop - a resounding, chestrumbling purr - the entire time she ate.

She's been having health issues for the past couple of years and her body weight is at a mere 5 lbs.; I thought for sure I'd lose her by the end of 2007, but she's a tough little thing! Still going strong.

This is Tasha:

tashaSmall.jpg

So big kitty hugs from Tasha to Emily, and may we always appreciate the love they give us so openly... :hug:

That is Aurora, my birman cat wannabe/bunny wannabe (she spends as much time in the rabbit pen as what the rabbits do some days).

Bunnicula wrote:
stargazerLily wrote:
Who's the beauty in your avatar? Obviously not a bunny! :p

stargazerLily wrote:
That is Aurora, my birman cat wannabe/bunny wannabe (she spends as much time in the rabbit pen as what the rabbits do some days).

Bunnicula wrote:
stargazerLily wrote:
Who's the beauty in your avatar? Obviously not a bunny! :p

She's absolutely stunning! Do you have any larger-than-avatar sized pics of her? Hint-Hint!

Latest posts

Back