A Cage Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
My husband desperately wants a mini rex. He isalways doing the sweetest things to surprise me. So this time I'm goingto try and surprise him. So for his birthday I'm going to get him hisnew bunn.

What I need to know is what would be a good size cage?

I found one that's 30''x30''x20''. The bunn will be a house bunn. The cage will pretty much be for sleeping in at night.

Would it possible to try and bond the baby to one of my flemish? Thereason I ask is because of the size difference. Has anyone ever triedto do this?

I'm sure all of you will have some wonderful advice and suggestions. I look forward to reading your replies.

Thank you!

Tina

The cage size would seem to be more than adequate for a mini rex.

Regarding bonding: the most successful bonding seems to occurbetween buck and doe, doe and doe, buck and buck, in thatdescending order. Having said that, some people claim allrabbits can be bonded provided one takes the time, makes the effort,and utilizes the proper bonding techniques. Others claimthere are some buns who simply will never bond with some otherindividual buns, because they are all such individuals with theirpreferences, likes and dislikes.

All our successful bondings have occurred between bucks and does, aftereverybun has been neutered. In addition to preventingconception, neutering is highly recommended for all unbred and petrabbits in order to reduce sexually and hormonally induced behaviorsand prevent the serious and prevalent incidence of uterine andtesticular cancer amongst them. The buns will make betterpets, be less territorial and live considerably longer.

Some of our buns bonded instantly, others took 2 - 3 weeks to affect asuccessful conclusion, but they were all buck to doe. Our doeto doe attemtps to bond were ineffectual, but, perhaps, we gave up toreadily. We have never tried a buck to buck.

I have never given consideration to differences in sizes when we bondedbecause most of our buns have been in the 4 - 7 lb bracket, wheredifference in size was not an issue. If the buns got alongfairly well and quickly, I suspect it would not be a majorproblem, however, if they did not adjust quickly, the smaller would beat a great disadvantage holding its own against the larger, should anyroughhousing occur. You would have to monitor that reallyclosely and swiftly. Supposedly, older rabbits are often verysolicitous of younger babies, but I cannot vouch for that fact.

The two best sources for bonding technique I've been able to locateare:http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htmandhttp://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html

Link to them for further information.

Buck

Thank you Buck.

The links were a great help. I saw your backpack idea at a pet storeyesterday for $50. I am so glad you told me how to do it, otherwise Iprobably would have bought one. lol

You saved me money.

Thank you again for all your help.

Tina

Bringing this back for Fergi.

dajeti2 has a Giant Flemish and she had asked about cage size.

-Carolyn

Fergi,

If you scroll down the page and look for recent posts by dajeti2, shenotes how much Apollo weighs now at how many months. I think she saidhe averages about 2 lbs. a month, but check me on that.

She'll be back online soon, her computer's acting up.

In the meantime, her other post will help you determine how quicklythose Big Babies grow. As you'll enjoy reading her posts, you'll seewhy she purchased a stroller for him.

Sorry I can't help you, but I know dajeti2's posts can. If you go backinto the archives of this forum, you'll see she asks how big they get.She's taught us alot about Giant Flemish.

For the record, her Apollo won Best in Breed AND Best in Show. He's a Winner alright!

-Carolyn

Once again thank you Carolyn. I have browsedthrough a few of them. I did a search on here for the words FlemishGiant and got some hits from that as well. Came across a post with a30lb bun that was saved from a carnival or fair. Haven't seen thatperson post again though. I look forward to chatting with dajeti2 abouther very impressive!! Apollo!

Fergi's mom

Latest posts

Back