A bunny without incisors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybun!
I wonder if anyone had an experience with a partly toothless bunny?
I am going to take in a rescued bunny and they said that he has no incisors, only molars! He comes from the street without anamnesis. He is now still in a vet clinic and i got no info as to what are the reason of that status or how to proceed. They only told me he exclusively consumes pellets of certain kind. I have a rich experience with nutrition of normal bunnies and this new situation puzzles me.
I saw on insta that ppl give such bunnies threaded veggies that the bunnies sort of suck in. They also chew on pellets with molars. My God, what a life...
If anyone has any experience of dealing with such situations, I will be grateful for any advice!
What i mean is 1. nourishment 2. probable usual causes 3. misc.
On image - this is how this guy looked as he was brought in by the rescue service:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_5627.jpg
    IMG_5627.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
The incisors aren't necessarily needed for a rabbit to be able to chew their food. The molars are what grinds up their food. Incisors are used for grabbing hold of food initially, and for snipping off long stemmed hay or other food to then move it into their mouth and back to the molars for grinding up.

If he seems to have any issues eating certain foods like veggies or hay, you can try chopping it up into smaller pieces or strips, to see if that makes it easier for him to eat those foods.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/front-teeth-extraction.74514/

The incisors aren't necessarily needed for a rabbit to be able to chew their food. The molars are what grinds up their food. Incisors are used for grabbing hold of food initially, and for snipping off long stemmed hay or other food to then move it into their mouth and back to the molars for grinding up.

If he seems to have any issues eating certain foods like veggies or hay, you can try chopping it up into smaller pieces or strips, to see if that makes it easier for him to eat those foods.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/front-teeth-extraction.74514/
Thank you for your explanation! i really appreciate that! i still don't have this bunny, he's in the clinic now, hope to get him early next week, then i will see how he behaves and what things he will accept.

Latest posts

Back