8 week bunny Constipated?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrule

Reaction score
I have called the vet but they can't get me in til this afternoon. We just got our bunny on Saturday Since he has been here he has been given pellets (I don't think he's eating them though), timothy hay, alfalfa hay (I took that away thinking it might be part of the problem) and a half a carrot. Yesterday his poops changed to being smaller and darker and so far I haven't seen him poop today at all. He is hunched up and grinding his teeth and seems to be bloated on his right side. This is my first bunny and I don't know what to do other than take him to the vet.

ETA He is eating his hay on and off. Also when we first got him his urine was clear and now it is foamy yellow.

It sounds like your rabbit needs a rabbit savvy vet ASAP. Rabbits can go down hard and fast. Having an appointment this afternoon is good, but, to be honest, he sounds like he needs a vet sooner.

I don't have enough knowledge to know if syringing water would be a good idea when we don't know what the problem is, however, I do think a head source would be a good idea. Like a little heat pad, or a sock filled with uncooked rice and microwaved, and then wrapped in something. That should help keep his temperature up.

Has he had carrots before you gave them to him? Did you give the same pellets as the place where you got him from?

Also, as an after thought, are you giving him his water in a bowl or a bottle? It might be worth giving a bowl aswell if you are using a bottle, in case he doesn't know how to use it.

He seems to be doing a little better, I rubbed his tummy for a bit and the bloating went down and his side feels normal. He just drank some water and is still eating his hay. Still no poop though.

The pellets are not the same as he had before, the girl I bought him from had run out and I couldn't find the same type. He also had not had carrot before that I know of. :( I didn't know.

I am going to try to find another bunny vet.

I would not give him anything like fresh right now. I would suggest only introducing them when he is older, and it needs to be done really slowly. Like a teeny tiny bit, and then wait for a few days to see if it affects him, and then increase it a little the next time, and then wait, etc. It sounds like he can't tolerate the new foods.

I would suggest calling the breeder and getting some of the pellets she has. A responsible breeder will supply at least a small amount of pellets because they will know that any diet change needs to be done slowly, and a drastic change can upset the bunnies tummy (which is what you may well be seeing).

He is doing much better. I keep rubbing his tummy. He is eating his hay like crazy and drinking a lot. Hopefully poop will follow soon! He is also running around and doing binkies!

You've alread received really excellent advice from Tracy

it sounds like yourbunny had a lot of gas build up and you have been able to move things by massaging very gently

Please keep us up-dated

Thank you for the help! We have poop! I have never been so happy for a pet to go number 2 in my life! :biggrin2: This little guy has wormed his way into our hearts very quickly and I was pretty worried! He's such a snuggler so I just held him for a very long time.

The poop is still dark and smaller than normal No more veggies for awhile! Is the alfalfa hay bad? My House Rabbit Handbook says that young rabbits should have it but now I'm not sure.

Hopefully he'll get 100% back to normal today!

Alfalfa hay should be fine. As should normal grass hay. A lot of people say that a bun under 6 months needs alfalfa, but that's not personally something I have given mine. Hopefully with more hay and lots of fluid his poo will pick up :)

Your bun does really need the pellets he is used to though.

Yay for poop! Another thing you may want to give is a probiotic for horses or rabbits (Bio-Lapis in UK?). I swear by it and a plate of canned pumpkin if I see a loss of GI output.

Latest posts

Back