:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beccajean220

Reaction score
Ok so I really don't know where to start...Please don't think I am complaining but I am a little disappointed with my rabbit experience thus far. And I know it's totally my fault but I am not sure how to fix it. First my bunny Binky was coming out of his little store bought cage to play each night and now since he has been in his NIC condo he doesn't really come out anymore. Second in fear of making him not like me I find myself walking on eggshells around him. I don't pick him up often because I don't want him to get hurt and I don't want him to be mad at me. The problem I am having is that I have heard a few different ways to solve this...one says dont pick him up just pet him and work towards picking him up. Another says pick him up and he will get used to it. I am so confused. Thanks for all of your help in advance.

The first thing I start doing with a new bun is getting them to come to me. Leave the cage door open and just sit and read, wait for them to come to you.

Unless the rabbit is extremely timid, I do not tip toe around handling them either. My rabbits never struggle when being picked up and are very calm about being handled because I do handle them so much and in the long run, I really think it makes it safer for the both of us because there is no struggle. But I am a firm believer that the agility we do is a very big confidence builder.

Thanks Kipcha,
He is not timid. He actually seems quite arrogant lol. So i guess I'll just start handling him more often and hopefully he will if not love it at least tolerate it.

I recommend you start sitting on the floor more! Sit there and read or whatever and "ignore him" when he comes over to check you out, resist the urge to pet him! Little by little you'll see his confidence grow.. its a slow process but very rewarding :)

Yup, I sit on the floor (with treats) and ignore them (read a book, catch up on texts) until they come up to me. When they come right up to me, they get a treat. (Tiny treats, bits of apple, an oat flake).

I will then start picking them up and putting them on my lap, offering the treat from the lap, but not holding them, I let them go one they're on my lap.

And/or I'm petting, cleaning around the eyes and ears with my finger, grooming them like another bunny. (Nuzzling works well too, they're fine with faces, they're just not always good with hands).

I've also held rabbits on my lap, and sometimes carried them around (although some really don't like heights) to get them over their fear of being grasped, but the key here is to really make sure you know how to hold them and that they feel totally secure when you do.

To carry them, you have to have one hand on the lower back/butt, and the other firmly on the chest holding their backs against your chest. Their feet shouldn't be able to make contact with anything.

Good luck!

sas :clover:

:yeahthat:

Try to put his favorite treet just outside of his cage. That might make him come out to get it. Just slowly work from there.

Is there room to sit in his condo with him? If not, what about using an Xpen or something, and sitting in that and picking him up and putting him in there with you? I usually just sit and read, out loud...that way they get used to my voice and I get some reading in. :)

I was able to pick him up twice today. I picked him up by scooping up his front feet then his back feet and holding him to my chest. i brought him out of his Condo so i could clean it and took him into the livingroom. My daughter sat on the floor and he sniffed her a few times. I am going to try again tonight:)

I pick Teddy up quite a bit, I even carry her around cradled like a baby, and she's gotten pretty used to it. She still stomps sometimes when I put her down but that's it, she won't stay mad at me for long. Sometimes she follows me around.

I never knew you should hold them back to your chest... I am glad I read this. Maybe this will make Rue tolerate being held a bit better.

Latest posts

Back